Thread: Joining maps in CC3?

Question Joining maps in CC3?

Anyone got a tutorial on how to join maps within CC3 for expanding existing maps? There use to be one on Profantasy's site, but I can't find it. Google and forum searches are kicking back dead links or no responses. I know someone did one many years ago, maybe for CC2. Any pointers? Thanks.

Yep. Easy as Pie.

In CC3, when you look at the top, you will see a collection of Symbols, to the right of New/Open/Save/Print. These four Symbols are:

Drawing Properties
    Map Notes
    Link with File
    Link with Map

The Link with Map is the one you want.

Click on the LINK WITH MAP button, you will then be asked to select a map, Browse to that maps location and click OPEN. You with then need to draw a box for the link. Click for the First corner, then drag and click for the opposite corner.

Now when you mouse over the box you just drew, the mouse will change from an arrow to a pointing hand.

Put all those links on a it own sheet and put that sheet at the very bottom so it is not seen by the program when printing.

And that should allow you to do all the linking of maps you can think of.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Member Facebook Connected Ilwan's Avatar

There is also a nice tutorial in the Annual 2008 add-on for CC3:

http://sub.profantasy.com/2008/may08.html

If wanted, I will whip up another tutorial on how to make an Linkable atlas, etc.

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

SOunds like a good tutorial to me

Yeah, please go for it Neonknight, I am interested as well!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thanks Neonknight, I'd like to see an Atlas tutorial as well. But I was actually wondering if anyone knew how to combine existing maps, not really linking. For example, lets say you have two seperate maps of islands, and they were made seperately at different times. Then you wanted to combine both islands onto a single map right next to each other. Or even better, if you make a map with a land mass that extends beyond the border and you want to add the coastline at a later point to complete a continent that was unfinished. Is it even possible to extend the canvas, or do you have to just link to a seperate map without getting a full bird's-eye of both maps joined together? Does your method work for that, or am I missing something? I'd still like to hear more about linking tho. Thanks again.

Ahhh, I believe you can combine maps together by using the COPY TO CLIPBOARD function and PASTE function.

Problem is it appears to paste ALL copied entities over to whatever sheet you copy them too, so Yes, you CAN combine a map this way, but you will need to edit a bit after.

Guild Member

I've been wondering too about joining maps end to end, because it's easier to draft a smaller area for me. I've heard maptool allows limitless size (something PhotoPaint doesn't). Can you paste maps end to end in that?