Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Continent of Urgaard

Post Not bad...

Not bad, no geologic anamolies requiring a visit by the River Police. I think the rivers are a bit too smooth and straight, but not obtusely so. Rivers tend to be straighter at high elevation as gravity is pulling them downward rather than side to side. Once the river slows down and runs along fairly low grade or flatland then they should meander a bit.

Consider how nicely jagged your coastlines are. Consider giving the rivers a bit of this fractalized twists and turns toward the lowland/mouth end of the rivers - if you're looking for some river improvements.

Other than that, you have a realistic regional map that should be acceptable to your players as a viable campaign setting with realistic map - that is your goal right?

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer

Well, yet another version. More rivers, different rivers...

I began naming regions and geographical features. Some of them are there as a reminder more or less. I am struggling to come up with kingdoms and realms and place them in the map. I have a pretty good general idea for the flavor and history of the continent, but I have a long way before me.

Anyway, here it is!

Also, thanks to Gamerprinter for his helpful advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Urgaard.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	8869  

Very pretty, but unless you have some reasoning, the lakes need to drain to the sea. My suggestion would be to have the top two lakes joined to make one lake or stay two lakes with a small channel between and have it empty into the river system(perhaps with another lake where it joins) on the left. The small one a bit below those two on the map would most likely connect to the lakes above it, but you could also have a drain out to the river on the right side also given the scale....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

They are probably Endorheic Lakes. Those do not drain out to the sea
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endorheic_lake

(Ok, so I nicked this bit of wisdom from this excellent thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...?t=3822&page=2)
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Journeyer

Interesting piece of knowledge! Damn, it seems we should have a M.Sc. in Geography in order to make good maps!

I will have that endorheic lake for the lake in the northeast. And the channels connecting the lakes seem a nice idea. Thanks guys!

I like the font, what's it called?
    With a little work the labels will look great. Flat black is a bit boring thou

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I believe the font is Flat Earth Scribe, I used it on some of my past maps.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Yes, that's the font! Steel General either you like this font a lot, or you have an elephant's memory!

Well, I have the bad habit of trying to use fonts that give something out about the flavour of the region I am mapping.

As for the style, I am working on it!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I do like this font quite a bit I used it on my September Challenge Map.

I also try to use fonts that I think are fitting to the 'flavor' of the map, not always successfully though.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Guild Journeyer

OK guys! MASS update on this map...

First a map with the lake drainage "bug" fixed and some more (or different) labels.

Then a map with borders. I am working on kingdom names.

Finally an animation of historic maps, that show the various realms and kingdoms during the timeline of the continent. In short the red are the bad guys, the rest are the good guys! (I hope the animation works...)

As you can understand I develop this continent along with the map. I had many ideas for this region, but I never put them down in order. Once I decided to make the map, the region is slowing taking its form.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Urgaard.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	442.6 KB 
ID:	8907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Urgaard (borders).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	466.0 KB 
ID:	8908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	periods.gif 
Views:	35 
Size:	403.6 KB 
ID:	8909  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast