Thread: Gimp

Post Gimp

Hey guys

Im looking to create a map in GIMP. I was big on drawing a couple of years ago, and i own my own juicy intuos3 6x8 tablet, which i want to put to use on a map. Can somebody please point me in the direction of a newbie tutorial for using GIMP. I have next to no experience with it, and i need some help getting of the ground.

Thanks!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Best one I know of is located here, done by the Guild's very own RobA.

Great place to start, used it myself until I switched over to Photoshop.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That was waht i was looking for, however i have a problem:

Quick Question:

I have vista, and there is no c:\documents and setting folder.

It says to install the color Pallete under C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\palette\

I have:

acer
    Elements
    Nexon
    Perflogs
    Sierra
    Users
    Windows

How do i install the color pallete?

Thanks

Post Shoot me if I'm wrong!

GIMP users shoot me if I'm wrong.

I'd just create a new directory called "Documents and Settings", then the necessary subdirectories the palatte wants to be loaded into.

That's what I'd do...

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

that sounds good, but do i put it in the same place as the other folders, or inside the file users\owner?
    Maybe, if I think hard enough, I can come up with a name for that stupid city!

You can cry all you want, but you still deleted that file...

Quote Originally Posted by eoinmorgan View Post
    that sounds good, but do i put it in the same place as the other folders, or inside the file users\owner?
    No... Vista has no need of a Documents and Settings folder. They Renamed that for Vista to Users. When you install Gimp on Vista, it will install a .gimp-x.y folder (where x is major version and y is minor version) which will contain the exact locations you will be looking for under DRIVE:\Users\USERNAME\.gimp-2.6 for example. Replace DRIVE and USERNAME with the appropriate values. ALSO, if you want to see exactly where, when you go into GIMP and go to the Preferences (Edit->Preferences is on GIMP 2.6) click on the Folders section and then to Palletes. This will show you the exact path to where you need to place the color pallete RobA has in the tutorial. There should be 2 listed, always put your stuff into the one under your user folder and not the one under program files.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

On my sig is a keyword link. Click that and look up Gimp - loads of good stuff.