Thread: Question...

Post Question...

So i just got cc3, and i want to start working on a campaign world for my dnd group.

First, I want to make a large scale world map that depicts all of the continents. Then, i want to detail each continent in its own map. However, I do not know of any way that i can copy and paste the landmass from the big map to the regional one without the coastlines becoming rigid after enlarging the landmass. I want to keep the natural feel...

So, does anybody know how to do this?

PS. if this is in the wrong section, sorry.

I've never used CC3, but if you can export your maps, edit them in GIMP, and then import them again, check this out:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1397
    Last edited by isomage; 12-28-2008 at 04:44 PM.
    My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/

If you like there is a Demo Version of Profantasy's Fractal Terrains.

If you want to play with that and find a world setting you like, I would be happy to pump out a High Res/Quality verison of your settings to CC3/CC2.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

In CC3, try the FRX command ( Edit>>Reshape>>Fractalise from the menu or the button shown below ) to add complexity to a path such as a coastline.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I decided that it would be easy just to do each Continent by approximation of the orgional map, and then once thy are all coomplete export and combine them as one big file. However, can i do this and still keep the file as a cc3 file? I want to be able to edit the map and zoom in and out easily after i combine the pieces. Thanks.

Somewhere on the profantasy website is a very detailed tutorial on how to do this - it's been so long since I've read it that I can't remember all those details. They also have a mailing list that discusses these sorts of things and experts in all things CC3 will be happy help you out.

The other option is to just build your continents in a single map. Since it's a vector illustration, everything will scale when you zoom in or out. If you want to just print out one continent or region, go to File > Save As > Save as Type: Rectangular section JPEG. Click save and CC3 will make you box out the section you want to save. Do this for each region of your map.

If you want less detail on the world map, then put all your regional symbols on a separate set of layers and hide them (via the Layers dialogue box) when exporting the world map, and then show them again when doing the regional maps. Likewise, you could use a separate set of world map layers to make bigger symbols for the continent view and hide them when zoom in to regional views.