Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The North Lands or the Waste

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    And just for SG, I changed the font in the title graphics, though it might be just as overly complex as the previous, however I am trying to denote the culture in the font. This one is more Celtic whereas the previous one is rather too Anglo Saxon in style.

GP
    Awww GP, you shouldn't have...

I do like this font better though
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Belgium - Lands of chocolate and the Marsupilami

beeg you pardon for all this confusion, Gamerprinter...

All is my fault...

I apologyse

Post No problem...

No problem, I should read my own thread, I just saw the image with the transparent ice sheet layer, and thought, hey, something went wrong! Silly me, you were just showing me what you'd do with my map - I hadn't read it until after I posted my confusion!

No apologizing necessary.

@SG, glad you like the new font!

GP

PS: I'm still thinking of doing a hand-drawn version of this map, but no decision on that yet...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I like the feel of the map, but up close I noticed some small things.
    -The islands of the coast have a much sharper bevel than the coast.
    -I think the rivers is the wrong color and there's some parts where they're shetchy (the delta right beside "stuart"), i assume that's a WIP.
    -The coast inner glow, or what that is seem to lie over the forests instead of the other way around. I think it's because the rounding at the corners are the wrong way round.

I really like the ice-flows concept, I'm poaching that for my map of Altheim in my campaign. The mountain texture works nice
    The change of font for the title was good. If you want to go celtic or norse or aglosaxson you have a wide variety of fonts to use, I've collected a few and if you'd like i could look through my files and see if I find something that fits, but I'd need some more 'keywords'...

/Hoel -Wannabe nit-picker.

Post Its definitely only a WIP

Hoel, its definitely a work-in-progress. The rivers are more placeholders for the time being, the delta a poorly constructed experiment (I don't need a delta), I'll check that bevel thing on the forests. Sometimes after I do a bevel effect and a shadow, I convert it to an editable shape (which then loses its editable bevel/shadow properties) so I can cut it off clean. That sometimes causes anomalous problems - like the one you're describing. I'll have to check.

The islands suck, it quick afterthought. I do need islands, I just need to spend some more time on them. I had the line smoothing set way too high when I traced those islands - and beveled too much!

Regarding the river colors, I have no current decision on that yet. Usually, I create my first river, then start changing the colors to see what makes it best stand-out from the background and still have a "river" color. What would you suggest?

I always need a source for great fonts - beyond Anglo Saxon, Norse, Celtic - Viking, Teutonic, Old English, any medieval font or script. I will use unreadable text for fun and color, but most has to be readable in English anyway. I have some gaelic fonts that are half unreadable because weird textual uses or different letters altogether. Fun, but useless mostly.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-02-2009 at 06:06 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

I got some big font packs, and have picked out a couple of thousand I use, the rest is just wasting space. Here is what i found in a quick search

Uncial -Standard anglo, many variations
    Aniron -More modern, a bit hand scripted
    Benighted -Hand drawn old english, for smaller text
    Carolingia -Wide Anglo
    Celtasmigoria -Illuminated/patterned Celtic
    RuneEnglish -Latinized runes
    Ruinic -Latinized runes, han drawn, many variations

And some others that's good for map labeling

Aquiline
    Black Castle
    Blackwood Castle
    Rapscallion
    Treasuremap

/Hoel -Just realized he has 1700 fonts

Wip Isle of Eerie - east of the Crae shore

I think for the subregional maps, I am going hand-drawn - I'll probably redo the main regional map in this style eventually. This is an encounter island containing the Barrow of the Cursed Pictish King (whose name remains unspoken, lest the curse comes to you...)

One of the lost great Pictish artifacts lie within the cursed King's tomb.

This is the larger of the two isles of the eastern shore of the clan territories, off the shore from Cleod and Crae lands.

I plan to create several more subregionals - the Crae lands, the Donal lands, the High Vale of the Frost Giant King, and the Caillech Glacier, probably a few more I decide on more encounter areas for the campaign. A couple in the Southlands too, as the remainder of the lost artifacts lie there.

Isle of Eerie...

GP

EDIT: oh that scale is going to change, I'm now thinking the 10 miles might become 5 mile and the 50 miles from Crae shore become, 25 miles... decisions to make.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eerie.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	871.0 KB 
ID:	8879  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-03-2009 at 01:50 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

You're on a roll Gamerprinter. Trying to get to 200 rep?
    Totally different style, but very pretty!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

I tried to rep but I have to whore it some more... sorry.

Like the island. Its very torstanesque You can tell that its not had a lot of time devoted to it, but like those old impressionist paintings that gives it an extra glaze of style instead of taking it away like it would if I had done that.

Post Well that's not good...

Well that's not good. Used to be I could do five minutes worth of work and I'd get "Wow, what great work!"

Now I do five minutes worth of work and I get "Wow, that's a great five minutes worth of work..."

Just not as satisfying - I guess I'll have to improve what I do in five minutes or spend ten minutes in my work!

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast