Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Criticism requested

Wip Criticism requested (updated... 4 of 256)

I'm trying to develop my own style, and would appreciate some criticism. I know it's not much, but I have grand designs for an ultra-large online webgame. This image would be the first of 256 game tiles. Before I get too far along, I wanted to get some criticism. Text has been intentionally omitted.

****EDIT****
    This update adds the 3rd and 4th tiles, and my first attempt at mountains. I've also included a thumbnail of the tiles glued together.

The final product will include 256 tiles, each at 4096x4096 px. The tiles I'm presenting are reduced in size and quality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s00.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	286.3 KB 
ID:	8844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s10.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	435.0 KB 
ID:	8845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s20.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	535.4 KB 
ID:	8880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s30.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	366.0 KB 
ID:	8881   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sthumb30.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	8882  

Last edited by Asharad; 01-03-2009 at 01:56 AM.

Looks good to me.

How did you create the trees?

I built a photoshop brush, and then turned on jitter for size, angle, spacing, and color of the brush. Then I placed the trees on 2 different layers (for depth) and applied a drop shadow to both layers.

For the hills, I'm playing with shaded relief just a tad. But I'm not good at it yet, so I'm starting with one of my flatter areas. There should be a hint of hills via shaded relief.
    Last edited by Asharad; 12-28-2008 at 12:45 AM.

I looks cool. But something I think would REALLY make it pop, is if there is a way to make a few other layers, because when the trees join together, they blend, and lose the individual 'definition'.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Yeah, I think it looks good. But as you requested criticism, I would smoothen the coastline a bit. In some places it doesn't look natural.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I really like the trees. I'm going to try it out and play around with it in my current project. I think they look a little too blobby and blurred in some places.

The coast line could use some smoothing in some places but also some fine detailing in others. If you got the layers set up nicely tou should just be able to go over it with a fine hard edged eraser.

I'm my self trying to learn the art of ground relief and you done a good job, better than mine!

You should add some texture to the gound thou. Maybe some sandy shore, cliffs, muddy areas or different hues of grass.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Can't offer many more critiques other than what the rest have already said.

I think you've got a pretty good handle on the shaded relief for an early attempt. That's not something I've tried as of yet. Did you follow a tutorial somewhere? I wouldn't mind having the link to it if you did.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

looks good

Aside from the above critiques, I would only add that the the hills under the trees to the north are only visible where the trees are not. As you are trying your own techniques here, I would suggest finding a way to give the trees over the hills some impression of height or elevation. I have no suggestion as to how to go about it except maybe through shading and lightening the trees on the hills somehow.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

All I would do is make the trees a bit darker...they look quite bright.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast