Thread: Erindoar

Map Erindoar

Erindoar is the finished product of my attempt to read through the wonderful tutorials that jezelf has.

Anyhow, the map was done completely in Photoshop CS and depicts a random region. I was mostly trying out the tutorial so it doesn't have much of a back story. Where I deviated from the tutorial is primarily the water sections. Those were created by embossing the selection then switching the hue to a light blue and slightly blurring them into the stroked coast (also went back over with a clone brush to fix some areas that were too green).

The paths were done with a pen tool. The path was then selected and filled (and then the path got deleted). After that I stroked them with a dark brown and gave them a small emboss with layer styles to make them sink into the ground. Lastly the names (which deviate in style from region to region) were placed and stylized properly, and a compass added.

Hope you like the map (note that it's pretty big; 1300x2000 px big)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map.png 
Views:	217 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	8841  

Praise Looks good!

Looks good! Can't Rep you as I just did, so I have to spread some Rep around before I can get back at you. It would be worthy to see you try maps from as many apps you'd want to try. No one else has tried that, I don't think - a Rep worthy cause, even.

Download the trial fully functional Xara Xtreme Pro (30 days) and try out one of my tuts, specifically... http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2432 and give it go.

I'm not saying buy the app, just use the trial and see what you can make of it!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Looks good! Can't Rep you as I just did, so I have to spread some Rep around before I can get back at you. It would be worthy to see you try maps from as many apps you'd want to try. No one else has tried that, I don't think - a Rep worthy cause, even.

Download the trial fully functional Xara Xtreme Pro (30 days) and try out one of my tuts, specifically... http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2432 and give it go.

I'm not saying buy the app, just use the trial and see what you can make of it!

GP
    Heh, it would be interesting to try to make a high quality map using things from photoshop, gimp, and xara. Thanks though. Glad you like the map.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I don't think I've ever seen that font before, what is it? I gotta add it to my my 15,000 others (Yes I'm a fontaholic). Colors look nice, rivers look good...nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen that font before, what is it? I gotta add it to my my 15,000 others (Yes I'm a fontaholic). Colors look nice, rivers look good...nice job.
    It's called High Tower Text. And I can understand the fontaholic thing. I tend to download a new font every time I try out a different type of graphic.

Con sarn it, my Google Fu must be taking a nap...I can't find anything like this. All I get is a plain old newsprint style.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Oh you know what, my bad. I misread what my font bar said. It's hobbit sf not high tower text.

Here's a link to a download of it: Hobbit SF
    Last edited by Nomadic; 01-01-2009 at 11:22 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Map looks quite nice - good job... and we like BIG maps, the bigger the better.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ah, much better, thanks Nomadic.