Thread: Where to start?

Post Where to start?

I'm not sure if this is even in the right place.

I've decided to take the plunge, and instead of doing derivitive maps of worlds - like my Forgotten Realms ones - I want to finally do my own in PS.

At the same time, I want to start developing my own style. I like the way my FR maps come out, but that is really someone else's art (even when I draw parts myself). I'll probably stick to the same color-pallette, because I really like bright, colorful maps, but I want to do something more akin to what Clercon did with his Etrakien Map (with the mountains and forest).

Anyhow, I've watched the great How-to video for the mountains, and the Zombie Nirvana videos (again) for forest and what-not, and then went and created a 4'x3' Map.

I got as far as coloring the Sea blue.

I've never started COMPLETELY from scratch before, and now I'm at a loss. Should I have drawn the continents in and then added the water color? I think that might be whats throwing me off here...

Anyhow, I drew the map first by hand - just a rough sketch that took me about ten minutes - so it's not the 'creative' end that is stopping me.

I'm just not sure of the best approach to beginning. I think giving myself the water background first may have been a mistake, but I also don't know if I should start in the middle, or toward the outside, or whatever...

This is really strange for me, because I've always drawn maps for games by hand, and never had a problem like this. I'm also an experienced PS user... but I never strated a map without something to build off of before. I'm not even sure if the size was correct for what I'm doing (but I can always change that as I go along).

Any advice? What do most of you guys do first?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I tend to do the continent/land mass first. Though you might consider where you want your rivers (if any are visible) you can always add the sea/ocean later as layers below the land.

There are several tutorials for creating world maps with PS here, Ascension's is quite good and there is a conversion of RobA's GIMP tutorial as well (can't remember who did it off the top of my head).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Normally I paint the sea right unto the background, but I think doing it as a layer may work better this time out.

What I may wind-up doing is scanning my hand-drawn reference and settting it as a layer to trace.

I think my problem may be visualizing the continent in relation to the backdrop... it's hard to explain.

Even I don't understand it.

I have the main continent drawn, with major rivers, lakes, and mountians/hills, along with two large forests, so I have the layout all worked out. I was able to draw it so quickly because I've been running it through my mind for about a year now, and knew pretty much exactly what I wanted where.

I also have a very rough sketch - just outlines, really - of the other major continents. Do you think I should just concentrate on the main one on my current canvas, and then add the others in, or outline them all now, and then concentrate on the one?

I figured a 4'x3' canvas was good for the world map, but now I don't know if I should just use the whole thing for the main continent (which would make the eventual World Map HUGE).

I also like to start with a continental outline, then play with colors until I get something that looks nice to me, then I add mountains/hills, rivers, forests, and cities in that order. Generally speaking. Since you already have a palette you wish to use, half of what I usually spend my time on is already done.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'd make use of your sketch, even if just as a reference. Put it on its own layer then you can turn it on/off as needed or delete it once you're finished.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

If you need a very, very, very simple starting point, follow these three steps:

1. Create a new photoshop document. Set the background color to blue.
    2. Create a new layer. Paint it green.
    3. Get your eraser tool out, and start erasing the green layer.

I always start with a black layer for sea and then use one of three methods for making a white land layer.
    I either draw the coastline by hand, use some fractal generation (clouds->threashold in PS) or carve it out with an eraser.
    The two layers are then copied, and combined to be used as base reference and also added to a new channel for quick selection and other stuff.

I have my main continent on the sea background now, but I'm just not 'feeling it'.

<sigh>

I think my problem comes from the way I'm used to working - nearly everything I have ever worked on was built off of something else. I'm just not used to 'looking at the big picture', or rather, working on a continental scale all at once.

What I may do is start even smalller, with just the main empire that most of the campaign revolves around, and work outward from that.

I think it's because I've always been a gamer first, and cartographer second, that I have this thing where I have to work from a small central point outward (the way an RPG campaign grows).

Anyhow, I'd show a WIP, but right now it just looks like a lot of blue with some colorful blobs added.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Throw it up, we'll give ya some guidance. After all, that's what many commissions look like
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps