Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi everyone

Post Hi everyone

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this site and it looks fantastic. I was an avid pen and paper mapping in my youth - both fantasy and sci-if.

I ended up mapping every world in the Universe RPG (if anyone remembers that...). I shudder to think of how many little round world cutouts I photocopied, drew continents, coloured and collected. Sadly it's now lost.

Years ago I started writing a fantasy novel and wanted to create a detailed world for the environment. I found I enjoyed mapping the continents and islands of Muhalli, providing history and back story far more than actually writing... I guess my first clue was that I only wrote 9 pages of the story but produced endless maps and a lengthy gazeteer!

That's been dormant for years (all the good stuff of kids & jobs...), but I've just rekindled my interest and purchased CC3 and CD3. CC3 I'm finding pretty powerful, although the learning curve is taking me some time...

I started recreating Muhalli by importing my old paper maps and hope to share them at some point (when they are less ugly...). My dream is to map all of Inner Muhalli down to a small regional level with key city maps as well. That will be a slow process, if it ever finishes, but the process is what's enjoyable anyways!

I'm looking forward to learning from you all and eventually sharing my work. Sorry for the long intro - teije

Welcome Teiji.
    I am another CC3 and CD3 user. Did you see the free CC3 video tutorials on the Profantasy site? Should help you cut that learning curve.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Ugly, shmugly...give us a before and after you start using CC3

Map On!!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome.
    You have a lot of work to do with your grand work, I look forward to seeing it.

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

@Hoel - I'll probably never finish but that's okay - it's the process that'll be fun. Especially political/cultural mapping Muhalli over time as I timelined several thousand years of history including various empires, wars, plagues and all that fun stuff.

@Gandwarf - I viewed the first one and will definitely check out the others. I actually develop utility software for a living but have never used a vector program so that's what is causing me some puzzlement...

@SG - I'll post up a basic Inner Muhalli map soon. In the meantime, I'd like to share what my 7 year old son did a couple days ago. He did everything himself - all I did start him off with the sea, show him how to draw land polygons, rivers/roads, and where to find the symbols. Oh, and the bit of text too. The rest is all his work - as you can see, lots of treasure and battles going on here!

- teije
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	owen small one.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	8873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	owen small detail.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	8875  

Quote Originally Posted by teije View Post
    @SG - I'll post up a basic Inner Muhalli map soon. In the meantime, I'd like to share what my 7 year old son did a couple days ago. He did everything himself - all I did start him off with the sea, show him how to draw land polygons, rivers/roads, and where to find the symbols. Oh, and the bit of text too. The rest is all his work - as you can see, lots of treasure and battles going on here!

- teije
    Haha, looks better than what my fiancee created the first and only time I let her use CC3
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That's awesome that your son is interested in this hobby as well, and a great start for him. You'll definitely need to keep us updated as to his progress.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hello, and Welcome.

The maps look good, but....well, the rivers are, wrong I am afraid.

There is an excellent post on the site about rivers and lakes and such.

Also, while the map looks great, you just need to learn how to work the SHEET EFFCETS to get that final "POP" your maps need to mke them come alive!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Hello, and Welcome.

The maps look good, but....well, the rivers are, wrong I am afraid.

There is an excellent post on the site about rivers and lakes and such.

Also, while the map looks great, you just need to learn how to work the SHEET EFFCETS to get that final "POP" your maps need to mke them come alive!
    For crying out loud Neonknight, his 7 year old son made those maps

Blog Entries

LOL. And let it be said that even 7 yr olds can use CC3 - all this nonsense about these mapping tools being hard to learn etc etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast