Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harogard

It's just a bigger sand bank. IIRC it's a swampy area and floods and changes course a lot.

Lovely map. The drawing is perfect... but...
    I don't like the text glow, it takes away from the hand drawn bit.
    I'd stroke it or just erase the land features to make room for the text. Best example I can come up with right now is Tolkien's map in The Hobbit

The text in the Mirkwood is what i mean.
    /Hoel -Trying to get some text into his maps too
    Last edited by Hoel; 01-02-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Forgot the last paragraph

Post Deltas are the exception, but...

Please understand your map is excellent work.

The river issue is just a common misconception, and we want to make better maps just by avoiding geologic anomalies.

A river delta is the exception, this is caused when sediment (sand, mud, silt) being carried by the river's current slows down because the sea pushes back and the sediment falls. As the sand bank fills up it changes the rivers course causing many channels to form over years of deposits. The current will primarily stay in one main channel regardless of the branches formed in the past.

Islands occur on rivers where the river splits on either side, but generally reconnect a soon as possible. This is just a harder point the river could not erode away easier than channels to either side.

It is extremely rare for a river to fork downstream. One that forks hundreds (I don't know the scale of your map) of miles away and both reach the sea, is not possible geologically speaking. Physics will cause the water to flow the best way, and one would dry up, as the other becomes the course of the river.

I'm only trying to explain this so that you understand my point of view.

River issue aside, Great Map!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I gave you some reputation, because I think this is a very nice map! Well done.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I really like this style. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

And have some more rep!
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    I gave you some reputation, because I think this is a very nice map! Well done.
    Ditto that. I love it!

I'm fine with criticism ... it helps making better maps
    and now i see and absolutley understand the issue ... thank you for that.
    and also thanks for the rep

Blog Entries

Your map has awesome style and its true that the rivers have a few problems but its a very common thing that people get wrong so much so that we have these river police now with their badge. We have talked endlessly about it but it crops up all the time. So ignoring that, your map has great color, font and naming. Its a great piece of work. So I will give rep too - that map has clocked up quite a bit for a just few days on the boards

To accomplish that Mirkwood label in Photoshop on an already-drawn map, I think the most efficient way would be to select your text, expand the selection, and turn that selection into a mask on the map layer. You'll need another layer beneath with the paper color/texture since the map itself will become transparent.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

NymTevlyn

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Nice hand-drawn style, is it hand-drawn, the woods make it look like it is. Nice job! Have some REP!

At the same time, I was giving it my River Police Inspection, and I thought it passed. At the last second -- I'm looking at the river at the top of the map, if I am not mistaken, the river forks downstream, the northern part enters the forest of Finnhard and empties into the sea. The southern fork empties into a lake then a river takes that to the sea.

And I was going to flag you by, but I guess I'll have to give you a citation!

Almost perfect, I think that's an issue, rivers never fork downstream and it looks like it is - need to fix that. Make it two different rivers one in the woods and one down south to the lake and the sea.

Still get REP, nice job.

Welcome to the Guild.

GP
    I keep seeing people mention rivers don't fork downstream...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:So...R_20020401.jpg

Yes, they do.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Did you gloss over how it rejoins downstream?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast