Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Guild Apprentice

Post Hello

Hello everyone

My name is Simon, I'm from Sweden and I've worked with maps for about 20 years now. That's from when I was a little little kid, but I've always been fascinated with maps and it was maps that led me into roleplaying games and fantasy, something that has kept me entertained for many many hours. With this comes the making of maps, and I've worked on a particular world and it's many map iterations for about ten years now. Recently I started an ambitious project of updating it to a more realistic geographic setting according to wind systems, climate zones etc for the stats of the world I have based it on and thus, I had to make a new map. It's currently in the making and will be my second big project on the computer ( done many many projects by hand ). My first big project was a map of White Wolf's Exalted world but I don't know if Im supposed to show that, given that the world is copyrighted? Aanyway.

I look forward to posting and talking here as well as looking at all the inspiring maps that are about.

Guild Apprentice

As an addenum: I do all my work in Photoshop, from scratch. I don't use any pre-sets of anything and I mainly use hand-drawn things with effects applied, not many filters but a few.

Välkommen hit
    Show us your work, bugger the copyrights.
    We swedes are famous for piracy and copyright violations.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

Thank you!
    And here's the Exalted map, all copyrights and trademarks to White Wolf, not me unlike what it says on the map =P I just didn't want people using it as their own left and right.

Well, this was done in two days and isn't really representative for what I do now, but it's a finished map unlike what most of my stuff ever ends up as ; ) Plenty of filter use to produce a quick and dirty finished map for our campaign which worked better than the ones available from White wolf or other sources, for various reasons ( most of them because of the fact that the Imperial Mountain is not even remotely centered at a location where the books say it should be, while it is on my map )

http://zaramis.net/Creation3.jpg

I'm not going to comment on the river, I'll leave it to the river police.
    Awsome map but do you have it without the paint daubs?
    Great mountains, very nice coastline and I bet the forests look good without the filter too.

Jag sitter i Skövde, vad håller du hus?

Guild Apprentice

The river is according to the game maps, not my invention. I am well aware that rivers don't go from sea to sea ; ) I would never, ever break geographical realities like that.. but the game map says it looks like that, and in that crazy world, it might as well.

After all, outside the borders on that map is pure chaos, not more land, so why not =) The forests don't actually look like anything without the filter, pretty much. I used to have it all without the filter and I probably do have it somewhere, but not posted. It doesn't look very good cause I didn't actually work with it that much. Just wanted a quick and dirty map for us to use with a painting-feeling, sort of =)

And I'm in Gothenburg.

Guild Apprentice

( My personal theory on the river is that there's a major god of Rivers somewhere around there, high in the Terrestrial Bureaucracy, who's leading some major Water leylines out somewhere in the middle of it, and thus creates an enormous flow of water from nowhere and leads it out into two flows. )

Welcome and beautiful map, Zaramis. I repped you for it
    I like the overall style and especially the glacier, mountains and forest.

The only nitpick I have: somehow it looks to me that the lakes to the east are placed on TOP of the trees.

Anyway, I am interested to see what else you have to offer
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Apprentice

Ah, yeah. I should have done a selection of the river layer and just deleted the forest there. I've done it on my new map ( which is much more photo-realistic and satellite looking ) but didn't bother on this one. I know what you mean tho =)

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast