Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Medieval map creation project, give me your thoughts

Here we have the latest version of the map. I have tried to replace some of my textures especially the grass plains (the light yellow) and the hills (the brown one) without success. I will get back to them later.
    As said in previous posting I have been focusing on correcting errors and blending the mountains to the surrounding terrains. In addition to that here is a list of major updates
    -Floating Ice to the northern seas
    -Numerous new places of interest (and some of them have special markers).
    -Road curviness corrections in open landscape and highlighting the cities.
    -New texture to rivers and lakes (to add more running feeling into the rivers and removing the swimming pool effect of the old lakes).

One of the nextbig tasks is to get the northern glacier finished. I'm not good in making ice, so it's going to be tought...
    And apologies for the Finnish language in the map. This is due to the fact that the map is used in our roleplaying campaign here in Finland.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Highlevel v2.jpg 
Views:	666 
Size:	4.59 MB 
ID:	8945  

Great job. Keep it up and it will be perfect!
    As I've said before, I love those mountains.
    Are you trying to get some mountans under the glacier?

I still think your roads look too blocky, I personally would soften them more.
    But otherwise this version is a great improvement on an already awesome map!

I love the little places of interest (and discovering them!) Very cool, keep up the good work.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I have intention to add mountains and some ice formations etc to the glacier. I would also like to get the mountains really under the glacier, but I don't know yet how to do it (to get it good looking). I guess I have to study some new tricks...

Yes I do agree that when looking closely the roads are rough. There is an easy solution though because the roads are in a separate layer. But I have to be cautious while softening as the roads easily becomes too "invisible" in the printed version.

Here is the latest version of the work in progress. The main addition is the northern waste/glacier and to get kind of cold feeling into all things in the north. As I anticipated, It was quite difficult to get the mountains to be buried underneath the ice and snow. I’m not totally satisfied with it, but it took so many hours to do that I’m not willing to start a new one (at least not yet).
    I have also blended the roads and maybe the same thing will be done to the rivers in the future. I also added bridges to the roads and new places of interest around the map (some with special markers).

Name:	Highlevel v3.jpg 
Views:	663 
Size:	4.70 MB 
ID:	9056  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I don't think the mountain look bad at all. Keep up the great work.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The mountains under the ice look great! Really!
    The only thing that doesn't fully look natural to me is the rivers flowing from those icy mountains. I wouldn't expect rivers so deep in that icy area.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Ooh.. nice work! I see you went with the flowing glacier too, looks super!
    If there's rivers, they should be under the ice i think.
    I there any chance at all to see this with translated labels?

I have not had time to work on the map in the past few days as I have a game coming up on Sunday and there is a lot of things to do. But I should be able to continue next week and I'll post new map as soon as I get it ready.

List of things to do next:
    - Work on the rivers in the glacier as suggested
    - Start to create things further in the south
    - Check if I could come up with reasonable translations with the names. Most of the names mean something and the names are there for a reason. For example the river called “Vanha kyy” is translated as “old adder” due to the reason that the water looks harmless, gentle and intriguing, but many travelers have become sick while drinking the water. The water is coming from a small marsh and is contaminated. It’s going to be tough to capture the feeling of the Finnish names and in some cases there just is no proper translation, but we’ll see…

Or actually I could post here the whole map I'm working on so you can see what is to be expected. Everything below the “Rajametsä” forest is under construction. I had to reduce the map size a bit as the database did not allow me to send the full image even though the I did not exeed the size or megapixel limitations.

Name:	Highlevel v31.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	4.04 MB 
ID:	9280  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Actually i don't mind the Finnish names, if you add a small english translation underneath them that would probably be good enough. For those you are having trouble getting a decent translation for post them up and maybe we can help with the names.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast