Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hall of the Exalted

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wip Hall of the Exalted

OK, this is going to be the last "temple' (for awhile at least, getting a little burned-out on them). This is the "Ythrak Krellinaath" (House of the Exalted), it is kind of "Union Hall" for the pantheon in my home-brew. They meet here to discuss various matters, settle disputes, etc. It is located far in the north on a plateau within a ice-covered mountain range.

The building itself is a rectangular structure made from white marble with a golden dome.

Each throne has the deity's symbol on the cushion, I used a lot of tribal style art for those - though some I either couldn't find a suitable image or I really liked what I already had.

The slightly larger chair at the "top" of the circle is for the pantheon's 'mother' a sort of Omnipotent being (like AO in the Forgotten Realms), who actually keeps a close on on her children to make sure they don't get to far out of line.

Not sure if I really need to add any thing else to this or not. As always comments/criticisms are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HouseOfTheExalted.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	4.31 MB 
ID:	8884  
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Nice textures, as always. I might change the floor to a black marble (just me) and I can't help but want to fill in the corners with something...lots of empty space makes me want to fill it (should see my house, ugh). Nice quickie lil temple tho.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I had thought about black marble as well, then decided to go for the star field. Maybe I'll post a second with the marble one and take a vote on which looks better.

Yeah I know what you mean about filling in the spaces, I just was having some trouble figuring out what to put there. Maybe some statues of various creatures etc.

I think I spent about 8-10 hours on this thing and most of it was looking for and modifying the artwork for the deity symbols. Boy that gets a bit tedious after awhile.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

This is awesome. I love the way the texture fades into the edges. I think the marble would look good as well. I personally like the elegant emptiness, but what about marble columns? I don't know, but that's off the top of my head.

Map Bit of an update

OK, I tried several black marble floor textures that I have and they just didn't work for me, so I settled for adding a few pillars and some benches to break up some of the empty space.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HouseOfTheExaltedv2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	8899  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Oh, you know what, it just hit me...put down a grid for tiles or some sort of flagstone/masonry/brickwork. Should look more like a floor then.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'll give that a try when I get a chance.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Imoho, when Gods sit down to meet and discuss, minimalist is best (I think "Zen space" is appropriate here). I actually preferred the empty space in the first example. If this is a place for the Gods alone, why would they bother with creature comforts beyond their own needs. They already have chairs, why provide for others? And the columns detract from the Godlike ability to build beyond mortal requirements like "loads over span" etc. The empty space just gives it that "otherness" that marks it at a building not meant for mere mortals.

I also agree with the starfield, 'cause it gives the impression of the the Gods sitting above all worldly concerns (not that the Gods have none, just the impression that they don't). And the glowing walls also work for me.

If I have one c/c, it is about the placing of the chairs. Are they a bit close together or are they like that because the Gods just 'port to where they want to go?

:EDIT: should have said at the beginning: Love the temple, and repped
    Last edited by Korash; 01-04-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Thanks Korash... it is possible for other creatures besides the deities to be present, but they would need to be brought there by a deity. So the additional benches would have a use. The deities in my home brew are very 'hands-on' (at times overly much) which is why 'Mommy' keeps a close eye on them.

I like the starfield so I think it'll stay though I may experiment more with some kind of tiling on it. The pillars I'm not so sure of at the moment.

The chairs are as close as they are because I was concerned with getting them to all fit. I may go back and expand them out some since there is room. Yes the deities could 'port in if they want and often do, usually showing up on or near the dais in some kind of flashy manner related to there portfolios and sphere's of influence. I have a short story that I created early on, before some significant changes were made to the pantheon that portrays a bit of this. It can be found here if you're interested.
    Last edited by Steel General; 01-04-2009 at 12:53 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I have a short story that I created early on, before some significant changes were made to the pantheon that portrays a bit of this. It can be found here if you're interested.
    lol A 20 page short story? Yup was/am interested and printing it right now to read at work tomorrow I also browsed around your game site a bit yesterday. Liked what I saw. If only I knew how to use a comp when I started playing in '80.....

If the Gods do bring others to these meeting then stuffing them in the corners makes sense but I still think the cols detract...
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast