Thread: Help finding japanese painting style

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Help finding japanese painting style

I'm not sure if I have it with me but I have this neat little porceline cup that has the islands style landscape in blue and white while there are brown buildings and monk like figures (I'll look for it and try to get a picture posted over the next week). It looks like japanese brush painting style but all my searches for this sort of thing come up with not much.

The monks are made about five strokes (a dot for the head, swooshes for the arms and the top and bottom of the robed body are done seperately). The buildings are similarly economical in painting styles, but the landscape has that complex simplicity of the wavy blended sumi-e style.

any recommendations of where I can find referances and samples to look at?

The brush is the preferred means of artistic expression of the Japanese, practicing calligraphy and painting at both professional, as well as a hobby. Until modern times, has always used the brush, and not the feather to write. For the artists, the sculpture was a means of expression much less effective, most of it is related to religion and its importance has decreased with the decline of traditional Buddhism. Already the Japanese ceramics is one of the most beautiful in the world and this mode of artistic objects are many older Japanese who are known. As for architecture, clearly shows the Japanese preference for natural materials, as well as the interaction of the interior space with the outside world.

P.S:search for "Ma-Xia".

http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Post I was working on Japanese styled map...

I was working on a Japanese painted style of map (Ravs keeps beating over the head to finish - and I hope to get to it soon...)

Look up: Ukiyo-e - which is a style of screen print paintings. The true masters at Ukiyo-e are Hokusai and Hiroshige, though there are many great Ukiyo-e artists.

Start there and pass me the links when you find some good ones - always looking for more myself.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I was working on a Japanese painted style of map (Ravs keeps beating over the head to finish - and I hope to get to it soon...)

Look up: Ukiyo-e - which is a style of screen print paintings. The true masters at Ukiyo-e are Hokusai and Hiroshige, though there are many great Ukiyo-e artists.

Start there and pass me the links when you find some good ones - always looking for more myself.

GP
    Glad to see you're getting on with it!!!

Actuall the Ma-Xia term is a bit more obscure but the landscapes are more like what I was looking at.

The Ukiyo-e are not quite the style I had in mind for this project but now that you mentioned it I remembered that I was going to try some wood block and screen printing projects and this might be worth looking into a bit more.

The Ma-Xia landscapes are quite lovely and Given a bit of time I might be able to make mix and match some of those elements with some of the sumi-e scenes I've seen to get the effects I'm looking for, but I also liked the simplified (super simple, which is hard for me to do with my tendancy for detail) figure. the idea of making figures with a minimal number of strokes but conveying emotion with posture and body language through slightest alterations of the figure amazes me.

Thus far the
    Ma-Xia and Sumi-e landscapes are marvels that I love wonderfully (as one who likes natrural materials, ther versatility of the brush, and simplicity of form and color) but to date I've only seen this style of figure on the cup I have and maybe once or twice more in long forgotten sources.

Thanks for the referances so far and anything else you might have that could help would be cool. I've got to find that cup so you can see what I'm talking about.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Whoa, that's awesome! I'd love to sink my teeth into that style, don't think I'm capable though so I'll just drool some more.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

that last like is much more my style of art but I've got a (crappy) phot of what I'm talking about. You can see the landscape style at least, the figures are way to blurry but hopefully this helps to describe what I'm seeking.

For all I know it's not really a style so much as what happens to a style when somebody uses it on pottery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cup.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	9222