Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Karros: The Birth of a World (WIP)

Wip Karros: The Birth of a World (WIP)

Some say that we all have a world inside us, waiting to be born. Karros is my world. It originally started as a silly little idea dreamed up by a very naive DM. It was at the time called Meishgon: The Sundered World and was based upon a spherical world that had been split into elemental planes. The maps were sub par and the use of classic tropes were obvious to an almost painful level. Slowly though things changed. The naive world builder met new friends, friends far more experienced than him, and slowly his ideas took root. Since then they have shifted and changed in a very stream-of-consciousness manner.

That DM has decided to go back to basics and pull forth a world in a more organic way. Therefore a proto-continent has been drawn up and plate boundaries drawn. With some help, said DM is going to make like a 2 year old with a freshly finished puzzle and pull it all apart. From this then will come the terrain and climate as well as the migration of species and founding of empires. So now that you have endured that long winded and overly philosophical nonsense I give to you the proto-continent of my world, ready to be born. A bit of color and texture has been added to this version (since black and white alpha maps are boring ).

More to come once I begin tearing it up and turning it into a finished product.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Worldpost.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	8892  
    Last edited by Nomadic; 01-03-2009 at 09:56 PM.

I look forward to it.

Well, I hope it doesn't take as long for you to get to the end result as our world to settle down
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Cool project. Looking forward to your progress

Guild Journeyer

I would suggest picking up a handful of toy plastic balls for something like this. Far easier to get your wrap around collisions to work well when working in a sphere rather than a plane.

Also I'm thinking your plates might be kind of small, how geologically active are you looking for this world to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    I would suggest picking up a handful of toy plastic balls for something like this. Far easier to get your wrap around collisions to work well when working in a sphere rather than a plane.

Also I'm thinking your plates might be kind of small, how geologically active are you looking for this world to be?
    They do seem a bit smaller than the plates that earth has but I don't think they are too small. I think actually I like the bit of difference and I am fine with the greater prevalence of tectonically active areas.

I think you'll need some boundaries going off the edges of the maps and joining up on the other side. Right now it looks like your continent is one big plate that's shattered into smaller ones, surrounded by a single large ocean plate that isn't moving or doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I think you'll need some boundaries going off the edges of the maps and joining up on the other side. Right now it looks like your continent is one big plate that's shattered into smaller ones, surrounded by a single large ocean plate that isn't moving or doing anything.
    That's because I didn't do any ocean plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    That's because I didn't do any ocean plates.
    You didn't make any at all? Or did you just not show them here? They're going to influence what's going on at the coastlines of your continent - an ocean plate subducting under a continental plate will cause volcanoes and mountains along the coastline, an ocean plate subducting under another ocean plate will result in island arcs like Japan as the sediment piles up to make islands, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    You didn't make any at all? Or did you just not show them here? They're going to influence what's going on at the coastlines of your continent - an ocean plate subducting under a continental plate will cause volcanoes and mountains along the coastline, an ocean plate subducting under another ocean plate will result in island arcs like Japan as the sediment piles up to make islands, etc.
    I haven't done any yet since I am trying to get ahold of my "partner in crime" for the map. Actually since you seem to know what you're doing, here's the alpha map. You are more than welcome to scrutinize it and throw out some pointers/images on where you think would be good for fault lines (both oceanic and land based).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	8916  
    Last edited by Nomadic; 01-05-2009 at 06:27 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast