Thread: Greenacre County - Psuedo WIP

Wip Greenacre County - Psuedo WIP

Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I register a few months back to pick up some tips and thought I'd share my first finished map. It's marked down as 'Psuedo-WIP' because I'm a devil for going back and fiddling with things, so it'll probably change a little before too long.

This is my map of Greenacre county, which made use of a few of the tutorials, most notably the compass wheel tutorial for GIMP, which I adapted a bit for photoshop.

The map is a little sparse, but that's to be expected with farmland I suppose, and I'm not 100% happy with the forests, but I'm still quite pleased overall.

Any critiques or tips would be welcomed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map1-base.gif 
Views:	88 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	9151  
    Last edited by nilcypher; 01-12-2009 at 06:58 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Well first off... Welcome Aboard! Be sure to introduce yourself in the Introductoru Forum.

The mountain symbol is nice, but you should try and get a couple more and mix them up a bit. The forest is a bit 'different', it almost looks like torn edged paper than trees... there is at least 1 or 2 tutorials on doing had-drawn trees in the forums, might be worth looking into if you haven't already.

Since you posted a map in your first official post, I dub thee newly repped *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah, the trees really are the weakest part. I'm going to have another crack at them now I think.

Success! That was much easier than I thought.

Changed the brush I was using and got a much better edge. Made a minor edit in the placement of the compass too. Looked too cramped up in the top corner.

New version of the map:

Name:	map1-newtrees.gif 
Views:	65 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	9152  

Given the implied scale, I would suggest adding some tree trunks. Also, see my sig if you want try to change up the mountains and make each one individual.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I knew I'd regret leaving the scale off. Each one of those squares is supposed to be a league, or about three and a half miles.

It's something I'm working on for the next version.

EDIT: The aforementioned new version.

Added some shading to the forest, moved the mountains a little, added some more locations put the scale on.

Thanks for the feedback btw!

Name:	map1-morestuff.gif 
Views:	62 
Size:	435.3 KB 
ID:	9173  
    Last edited by nilcypher; 01-12-2009 at 10:19 AM.

Info Nice hand-drawn map

Hello, Nilcypher.

First of all, Welcome to CG. Second, you've really got a nice hand-drawn map here.

I really don't have anything new to offer beyond what has already been said and suggested other than the sparseness doesn bother me a bit. Understanding it is farmland, have you thought about "breaking it up" a bit by adding defined fields, hedgerows, secondary roads, etc.

Looking forward to your continued progress.

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Why not try different road sizes?

I think farmland on that scale would have to be mostly symbolic because of the scale.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's a great first map. I'd be careful with your forest edges on either side of the road. At the moment they jar against the outer edges of the forest (which are very nice indeed). I'm nbot sure you really need the drop shadow on the inside of the river.

However these are small issues on a very nice map. Welcome the to guild!