Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Teyrnai Empire and it's surroundings

Wip The Teyrnai Empire and it's surroundings

This is part of a world I've been working on for quite some time (the world, not the map; I started with that this afternoon). I'm currently writing a full history from the forming of the first empires and forward, in the form of a historians scribblings, and as that history progresses, so will this map. I could've explained it in a little more detail, but I won't . Well, here comes the map. It's not overly realistic in style, as you can see, it's intended to be more of a political map, with different colors for each country, and a warm, colorful style. Hope you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	papper.gif 
Views:	148 
Size:	291.4 KB 
ID:	8902  

Looks good. Keep going.

Nice start.
    -You got some artifacts on the edges of the parchment
    -The grass texture combined with a symbolic map doesn't work for me, I'd use faded borders of different colors instead.

It's not really meant to be a grass texture, it's just supposed to be a green color. Maybe that'll become clearer when I add some more colors, otherwise I will have to change it. What do you mean with faded borders? I do it all in one color and just have colored borders?

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll add some more tomorrow, hopefully, possibly combined with the short story behind the areas.

Look at the second map here, that's what i meant by faded borders.
    I think it seems more appropriate for a symbolic map

Teyrnas, looking good so far. I like what I can see of the map and the green background doesn't really bother me. Interested to see your progress!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Disagree with Hoel. I see the green as a mixed colored pencil background rather than a texture. It seems to fit quite well.

Update. I've done three different versions. One in the same style as before, one based on Hoels suggestion, and one with lower opacity on the land layer. I'm having a few problems as of now. I don't really like the look of the rivers and the lake, and the same goes for the city-symbols. They're ok, but they could definitely be better.

EDIT: I understand now what you meant by artifacts at the edges, Hoel. They don't appear when in photoshop format, so I don't really know why they show when i save as gif.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	papper.gif 
Views:	72 
Size:	297.6 KB 
ID:	8941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	papper2.gif 
Views:	77 
Size:	299.8 KB 
ID:	8942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	papper3.gif 
Views:	72 
Size:	301.6 KB 
ID:	8943  
    Last edited by Teyrnas; 01-06-2009 at 02:59 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like the second and third much more than the first one.

The second one would allow you more freedom to color the various terrain types, etc, if you chose to go that route.

The more muted shades of the third one appeal to me more than the saturated ones in the first.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm in for the second one, but lighten up on the stroke (outline)...ie: lower the opacity a bit so it's not so bright.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast