Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: City 3 -- WIP

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Love those borders, and I second Hoel on the river texture.

The openness of the city doesn't bother me so much, it's a nice change.

Looking forward to the final version.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

First, I want to say that this is a great piece of art! I love the details., the palisades, the tree groves, the flowers/berries in the garden... just great..

A couple of minor negatives.

• Just how darn big are those gates into the mountain! They may well be huge, but first impression is that they are not scalled well...
    • Unless you have something else going on such as a spring inside the channel, the river sources you show on the map could not support the volume of water. At the widest point, they look to be as wides as a football (American) field is long or so.

Yea.. these are some minor nits, but in the end, you have produces a masterpiece.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Hrm, yeah I probably should change up the buildings to add in some variation in each city sector but I was thinking that this city was planned by the military and as such things would be very organized into sections for this n that (market section, military section etc.). That might become clearer when I put up the story/description.

Good point about the river size, it was my intention to have these streams come out of caves in the cliff face but I didn't do a good job on that and now that I know what the scale is, they are just plain too fat...after all of the hours (like 10 or so) on doing these damn things, I don't look forward to re-doing them, ugh.

The watch towers (which are also the sides of the city gates) are all done with an 11-pixel pencil, 4 feet per pixel = 44 feet and the main curtain wall is a 9-pixel pencil (36 foot thick wall is quite fat I know but I like the look and there's a reason...planned by military). The shadows for the towers are 16 pixels long and the walls are 12 and while that's not realistic it makes them look more imposing and taller than the shadows on say the shacks which are 4 pixels. So in the end, I'm trying to apply some logic but then, my logic may be faulty and I try to hit a balance between absolute realism and a more representational effect for aesthetic purposes. If on the other hand, you're referring to the gated off cave-mouths...those are strictly representational and would be 44 feet wide...I just wanted to convey that there was a gate across the cave mouth and anything smaller didn't cut it for me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123