Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: City 3 -- WIP

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip City 3 -- WIP

I haven't done a city in quite a while...since Snagglefjord, I think. So here we go and I even have a lil bit of story/description for it as well (coming later). So far it's just the terrain, obviously, and once I settle on a scale I'll start the tedium of putting buildings and roads down. This is to be a fortress/citadel type of city so there will be all of the usual accoutrements...walls, castle, huts, fields, etc. Still got some work to do on the rivers and overall blurriness of the terrain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city 3 flat.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	8903  
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-04-2009 at 11:49 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I loved your Snagglefjord map, looking forward to what you do for this one.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

Love your cliffs! Can't wait to see what's next.

Good job, it will be really nice when you've worked out the blurriness.
    I want to see those fortifications
    /Hoel -took a course in 18-19'th century fortifications

End of day 1; put in some roads, walls, bridges, towers, castle, cathedral, and inns, reworked the blurriness and the rivers. Gonna watch some tube and chill for the rest of the night. Looks like this one is going to be hard to keep under the file size limits so I might have to shrink it or cut the top off; will worry about that later. Probably do the merchant district next as it's usually more involved and colorful. Oh, and yeah, the shadows aren't right, these are placeholder shadows until the end...that's when I do em right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city 3 flat.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	4.37 MB 
ID:	8915  
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-04-2009 at 11:52 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Might want to look at the drop shadows on some of the buildings, they seem (at least to me) to be overly large - or maybe I'm misinterpreting where the light is coming from?

Also I think buildings in the slums will be difficult to see because of how dark the terrain in that area is, just something to consider.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Steel general is right about the shadows. Drop shadows doesn't work when they're that far away, it just seems like it's a roof floating above the ground.
    The corners of the shadows should be attatched to the corners of the buildings.
    Shadows on that scale are a pain, and it's often easier to hand paint them, there's some tuts about 3d shadows out there.

I think you've gone a bit overboard with the fortification with the walled in roads, but you maybe have a reason.
    Otherwise you should have some courtyards and gatehouses around the entrances to each district.
    I could give you a long post about the principles of medieval fortification if you like, I'm not an expert I do know something about it.
    On the other hand, they could be rich enough to build it like this, but it doesn't seem very safe imo.

Did I not say that these are just placeholder shadows? In case I forgot, these are just placeholder shadows, they are not the final. Steel, you should know by now that I use the motion blur method. There are reasons for the walls, as I said in a previous post, this is a fortified city/citadel. And with that much rock around they don't have to import it, they just need to hack it out of the cliff and stack it somewhere. The town description will help things when I post that part. Seriously, guys...does anyone read? I will try to lighten up the terrain around the slums, hadn't thought about that, so thanks bro...I might flatten it a bit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Did I not say that these are just placeholder shadows? In case I forgot, these are just placeholder shadows
    Ooops! Skimmed right over that part. Hey, its Monday, it's early and only got about 4 hours of sleep.

I am very curious what the end result is going to look like. Some details are hard to spot right now, as your map is very large and dark.Great job on the cliffs. What are the little rounds on top, towers or something?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast