Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lilium, Halfling village final

Is the stream running through a basin at the bottom of the hill? It does look like it should slide down southward. The light is coming from the northwest, so the shadows north of the river indicate that there is a slope down to the stream there. But south of the stream, the terrain is still in shadow, which makes it look as though that area is still lower than the stream. What I think you intend, though, is that darker areas are simply lower, in which case the stream is right where it belongs.

You might touch your rooftops with a little bit of grunge. Right now, they look a little "cartoony" against the more photoreal textured ground. Just a little bit of dirtying up should make them look like houses in this scene instead of objects painted on top.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

The stream is pretty level all the way, at least that's how I sketched it up. I'll see what i can do with a grunge brush, but It'll be for the next map

Very nice. I like the way the terrain looks...almost makes it look like an aerial photo. The shading works well for me, but the "lighter" areas almost seem a little "shiny". Maybe the brightness of those areas should be toned down a little or something. The buildings look good to me...I think they fit well enough with the overall style of the map. I really dig all of the hedgerows.

And of course, that is a great name for what I presume is a tavern/inn...the "cock and bull".
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very nice map indeed. Good work.

Great map!

My one and only suggestion would be to lighten up the grassy parts - the forest is great, but you're losing the structures abit against the dark background.

I had to do a halfling village for a Netbook I was involved with - it was someone else's adventure-arc - and I wish it came-out ½ as good as this did.

Amazingly well done. One of the best maps I've seen, and very inspirational!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12