Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A simple chapel

Guild Apprentice

Map A simple chapel

Just something I tossed together in AutoCAD for an online game I'm running. Forgive the lack of detail.

Last edited by Strickland5; 01-05-2009 at 01:06 PM.
    I'm hacking my way into the cartographical realm with AutoRealm, AutoCAD, GIMP, and Google Sketchup as my tools!

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages
    because they know they can be impolite without
    having their skulls split, as a general thing."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nothing wrong with simple - sometimes it's all you need.

Easy enough to bring into graphic editor of your choice and pretty up with a bit of effort if you chose to.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I like the layout of the chapel. Personally, I often favour the simple maps over the over-detailed maps (which are fine in their own way - don't get me wrong). A simple map tends to spark my imagination much more than one with every little detail spelled out, but I'm funny that way. Do you plan on rendering this map with Google Sketchup?
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Guild Apprentice

Thanks Turgenev!

If I can find time I'll see what I can do, my Sketchup skills are sadly rather weak compared to what I can do in CAD, though I could do 3D CAD... hmmm
    I'm hacking my way into the cartographical realm with AutoRealm, AutoCAD, GIMP, and Google Sketchup as my tools!

Tried to see how the same kind of map would look like with the tools I used before, but I used a metric template and a have an 1m grid instead of the 5' one. Sorry, it is my mistake

Sorry for just copying your content (and adjusting where it was important) and not coming up with something original, but I thought this way I could show some of the differences between tools and also I could offer some feedback about your maps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chapel_handout.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	9315

As you see this image is more like a simple handout, no grid or anything like that. As you can see I done some very quick draft sp the stairs aren't that nice. But tried to answer something.

When I seen your draft, I asked: People who go "upstaris", how they leave stairs? One of the sofas seems to be in the way, and the other one would be in the way of the people who try to use it. Right now, you see how I would try to fix it. of course, if you would make the 2nd part of stairs 1 square wide, it would be easier to make enough space for everything.

I think I should have made my stairs even longer (and a bit more narrow).

But the real difference is visible on the 2nd map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chapel-grid.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	9316

It is easier to see the difference between grid lines and the walls! I think most CAD programs could do something like this

I have used Microsoft Visio to make these maps, but I am sure the same thing is possible with both Campaing Cartographer (Symbol set 3?) if you want more artistic apperance, and any kind of CAD program that can be used to design floorplans.

I think both Microsoft Visio and Campaign Cartographer can be easy to use if you are used to CAD software (and the rest of the office suite if we speak about Visio). And Visio seems to be affordable (and part of the office family).

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Hmmm...never even considered Visio for this - great idea!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

For modern day gaming it is very good. Why?

If a company in real world would use Visio for some floorplans, site plans, etc. why wouldn't a company in a "modern day earth" setting (Like World of Darkness, etc) use something else? And if they would use Visio for floorplans, how could you represent a Visio drawing with a handout?

By using a Visio drawing.

If you don't add a background or grid, but make it look like "real" floor plan, and print it on a few sheets (luckily I have a printer that can handle up to A3+ in size), that can be a perfect handout.

Add a few buttons on it, a background, etc? It can look like they found the floorplan on a web site.

And you can have many options, and it is easy to copy / paste, to offer different sheets / drawings for different kinds of handout.

If you play online (virtual tabletop, etc), and want to show the handout as "part of a program" or something interactive: Save as Web Site is a valuable tool you will love.

Guild Apprentice

Wow... that's quite impressive. Mine is just a 'stick drawing' (all lines) but you have definitely developed it quite nicely.

As for the upstairs you're quite right I should shorten 'long' pew and shift both down 1 square. But as the place is an abandoned chapel its not overly important as my would be heroes are going to move things about a bit.

Only place I'd change yours is the steps leading to the pulpit, as the pulpit (to me) should be centered towards bottom right corner and generally square up the pulpit area. It actually has a secret stair case leading down (shhh don't tell my players!) to an area which was previously where the church kept important records and such.

Pulpit can be placed elsewhere.
    If you see it on my version of map, I didn't have to make any pew short, I just moved them a bit.

As you can guess: in this floorplan stairs are one source of problems. If we can keep the 1 m grid, I would redesign the place a bit. I will post an updated version

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast