Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vale of Tears

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Anyone know of a good site for glyphs, sigils, etc? I need some for the tops of the barrows and haven't found anything good as of yet.
    Somebody just posted a terrific site a couple of days ago with complete alphabets from several ancient languages. I don't remember what it was off the top of my head, but check the recent posts in the Mapping Resources forum.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Thanks Midgard, I'll do that.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Thanks guys...

RR I'll give those a whirl and and see how it goes.

Re: Trees and shrubs - Still undecided on that, I had trees initially, but the looked funny so I scrapped 'em. Guess I can give it another go.

Re: Barrow shadows - You guys are right, the shadows could be deeper, didn't want to go overboard but I guess I 'under-did' it. Shouldn't be to bad to fix.

Re: Obelisk shadows - Hmmm...didn't even notice that when I was putting them on the map, guess I'll create my own rather than using a Dundjinni download. I used an image I had grabbed from there and rotated it.

Anyone know of a good site for glyphs, sigils, etc? I need some for the tops of the barrows and haven't found anything good as of yet.

Oh, what I meant was, that was my only bit of constructive criticism. I forgot to mention that besides this little thing, the map looks pretty darn great!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

@Karro - You were absolutely correct though. I have changed them but didn't get a chance to post an update. Hopefully tomorrow.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip Latest WIP - getting close to the finish

OK, here's a bit of an update.

- Deepened the sahdows of the barrows
    - Redid the Obelisks and added smaller columnar menhirs
    - Added some bushes/shrubs around the edgees of the vale
    - Added labels, a key and a compass rose
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ValeOfTears.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	8962  

Still not enough shadow! We need more shadow!
    No, seriously, it looks good, but it doesn't get the whole barrow thing going. I think you need to shade it more on the top, making them almost spherical at first and then work your way down.
    I might swipe this map for my campaign btw. It will work nicely in an adventure I'm planning.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Hoel View Post
    Still not enough shadow! We need more shadow!
    No, seriously, it looks good, but it doesn't get the whole barrow thing going. I think you need to shade it more on the top, making them almost spherical at first and then work your way down.
    I might swipe this map for my campaign btw. It will work nicely in an adventure I'm planning.
    "I've got a disease, and the only cure is MORE SHADOW!" [/Christopher Walken]

Actually, I have to agree... more shadows--and more highlights too--will make them look more rounded and mound-like.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Blog Entries

I think Hoel is right here. What your trying to do is give the impression of the barrow by changing the colors of the circles but really for all the barrows I have seen they are the same stuff on top as surrounding areas and its just that they are on a mound. So what you need is some shadowing to give lighting to make it look 3D. Unless I am mistaken by what your trying to represent but the sort of thing I had in mind is like this hill fort.

@RedRobes - You are right, that is the look I'm going for. I guess I'm being a little 'gun-shy' on the shadow because I'm worried about going overboard. I also changed the color of the highlight on the barrows, maybe I went to dark with it. I'll play around with it some more and see what I end up with.

@Hoel - Feel free to use it, I can even post up a version without the labeling if you'd like.

@Karro - Love me some Christopher Walken

I agree with the others...The mounds need to be more "moundish". I downloaded this and took 30 seconds to mod the larger mound. This was done with a mouse and very little care, so you could probably make this look better. Normal trick: New Layer 50% grey, set layer to overlay, Burn the shadow side, dodge the light side, apply blur to taste.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BarrowMounds.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	603.0 KB 
ID:	8966  
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast