Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vale of Tears

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wip let's try this one more time....

OK, I think part of the problem was I was using an emboss rather than a bevel, when I switched it and played a bit with the settings I came up with something much, much closer to what I had envisioned in my cess-pool of a brain. The center one is still a bit flat overall but that's OK.

I'm happy with the way it looks now.

I also added small mounds beneath the square obelisks but not the round menhirs.

Appreciate the discussion, suggestions, critiques, etc. guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ValeOfTears.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	4.49 MB 
ID:	8969  
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yea... that one looks MUCH better. I still wouldn't mind seeing it done manually (yea, I know..its extra work) so you can get a bit more randomness out of each one, but this is a vast improvement.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looks good, now they really pop out.
    Do you have all mounds in different layers? If you do you can go in and play with the bevel contour to get them a bit more irregular.
    You could also try going over them with a soft eraser to get some more irregularities.

@JFJr - I'll definitely have to give the more 'manual' version a try one of these days. So many different techniques to try, so little time.

@Hoel - Nope, the mounds are all on one layer, the .PSD is huge as it is and separate layers for each mound would only make it worse so I'm trying to keep as few layers as I can. I can still try and do something with a low-opacity eraser on each one and see what happens.

I'll try and post one without the labels tomorrow.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

With all of that said...the only thing that I noticed was that the trees/shrubs didn't have a shadow and thus blend in to the grass. Lookin good tho.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks... Coulda swore I had a shadow on those, hmmmm maybe I only did the inner shadow. Welp, something else to work on tomorrow.

Wip Final-WIP (I think)

OK, I think I've taken this about as far as I want to, deepened up the shadow on the shrubs and in some other spots but other than that no significant changes. I've also posted a version without the labels.

I'll see if I can find all of my notes, etc. from my home-brew and create some background for this as well and post it once I move it over to the Finished Maps forum.

As always thanks to all for their comments, critiques, suggesstions, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ValeOfTears.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	8985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ValeOfTears-NoLabels.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	4.38 MB 
ID:	8986  

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    OK, I think I've taken this about as far as I want to, deepened up the shadow on the shrubs and in some other spots but other than that no significant changes. I've also posted a version without the labels.

I'll see if I can find all of my notes, etc. from my home-brew and create some background for this as well and post it once I move it over to the Finished Maps forum.

As always thanks to all for their comments, critiques, suggesstions, etc.
    Very nice! Only one thing still really catches my eye and is totally weird are the two obelisks "standing" on the mountain near the Colossi. They just look painted on instead of being built. Not sure if it's a lighting issue from the original model or what, but they don't look like they belong.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

JFJr - Those are not obelisks, they are small guard posts. I used the same textures/layer effects I used on the Gate and the Guard HQ, guess it didn't work out as well as I thought.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234