Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vale of Tears

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wip Vale of Tears

OK - If any of you are familiar with Glen Cook's Chronicles of the Black Company this is my take of the Barrow land for my home brew - the Vale of Tears.

The BBEG and his 10 'henchmen' (in my version they are all kinds of beings; drocolich, beholder, vampire, lich, doppelganger, etc.) are all interred in barrows in a small secluded valley. A company of soldiers, priests and mages are charged with guarding the valley.

The barrows are located an a small rise in the deepest part of the valley, they barrows are surrounded my magical obelisks and other defense mechanisms.

Still need to add some more of the various guardians, etc. but I figured I'd at least post this.

I plan on using the strip along the right of the map as a key/legend.

As always, comments, critiques, suggestions, etc. are welcomed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ValeOfTears.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	8925  
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

-The barrows need a bit more shadows to rise up a bit.
    -It needs some greens, trees, bushes, brush and moss
    Other than that, good job.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

As always, your textures look awesome and the grass looks great as well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yea the barrow mounds don't seem to pop up enough. Otherwise, awesome map. I like the texture style and the overall feel very much.

Blog Entries

I can donate a barrow. Actually its not mine it was given to me by a fellow player who paints. Its CC with usual BY-NC-SA if you want to use it under CC terms.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

My only observation: the shadows and highlights on the tops of the obelisks aren't consistent.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Thanks guys...

RR I'll give those a whirl and and see how it goes.

Re: Trees and shrubs - Still undecided on that, I had trees initially, but the looked funny so I scrapped 'em. Guess I can give it another go.

Re: Barrow shadows - You guys are right, the shadows could be deeper, didn't want to go overboard but I guess I 'under-did' it. Shouldn't be to bad to fix.

Re: Obelisk shadows - Hmmm...didn't even notice that when I was putting them on the map, guess I'll create my own rather than using a Dundjinni download. I used an image I had grabbed from there and rotated it.

Anyone know of a good site for glyphs, sigils, etc? I need some for the tops of the barrows and haven't found anything good as of yet.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Glyphs, make 'em like the long man of wilmington and that. Dug out of the grass. It'll look great!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Anyone know of a good site for glyphs, sigils, etc? I need some for the tops of the barrows and haven't found anything good as of yet.
    Use a good dingbats font (wingdings, webdings, etc).

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I use Oblivion fonts and alchemist types of dingbats, plus an occasional sci fi dingbat like Klingon and such.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast