Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: January Challenge: Create a Map for Print!

I'm thinking of making a map of Carlsborgs Fortress in 1890... No restrictions on making a real world map?

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would like to add that maps that have PREVIOUSLY been posted here should not be submitted as entries. We'd like for ONLY new maps to be made specifically for this contest. I know some of you may already have a masterpiece tucked away somewhere that you'd liek to submit, but resist the urge This is for new content
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Has the restriction been lifted so that we can upload a 24x30 map at 300px?

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nope...sorry...its a software/server thumbnail generation limitation of the site itself.

For judging purposes you'll need to submit a smaller version of the map, and the full size version for print will have special arrangements made by GP for uploading.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

oh noz! thiz will be hard for me... im not good at choosing stuff!!!

So many things I could do! How to decide??? Should I do space, parchment, earth, fantasy world, pirate map, the list is endless!!!

@--> Sagen

It is (i think) exactly 60.96cm x 91.44cm
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Post Good to see there's interest in this!

I'm glad to see so many responses to this Challenge posting.

1. I've decided to allow 18 x 24 (1800 x 2400) pixel maps, especially for those using Photoshop or GIMP, as bigger maps seem to crash those applications. So its up to you whether you want to create an 18 x 24 or 24 x 36.

2. Sagenlicht - I'm just so used to RPG maps being measured in inches, or WotC scale being 1 inch = 5 feet, I assumed worldwide - everyone who plays RPG know what an inch is.

3. Hoel - realworld maps is perfectly acceptable, no one ever has to produce a fantasy only map. Cartography is cartography, just create a map for us!

4. Bryguy - do you play an RPG? If so, is there a location that is especially important to your fellow players, or will there be a major location for your game early this year? Make a map that you can really use in your game and one that will be appreciated by your GM and the rest of your fellow players!

I understand that not everyone uses the same or same type of applications, and wouldn't want everyone to use just one type of app. Having said that, I just wanted to let you know, every map I post on the Guild, whether a challenge map or other map of my own posted in the WIP or Finished Map threads are always in large format. Anything from 18 x 24 up to 36 x 48 and larger all at least 100 ppi, in some cases 200 ppi. These dimension and resolution selected at export. I can just as easily create 36 x 48 at 300 ppi everytime - with no issues of crashing from my PC, and it isn't as robust as many of your PCs. Xara is primarily vector so file sizes are extremely compact.

The maps specifically for VT apps, which require easily transferred digital files, and those most recent Lands of Crae map which are 11 x 17 only because I hand-drew them at 11 x 17 are smaller than normal for me.

Anymore questions? Feel free to ask.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Great, Jan challenge is live. I'll probably enter something for GP to sell but I don't think I need any printing done so ill probably let somebody else get their map printed. House is already full of stuff and if I get to play these days then its all digital now.

Some interesting points to note tho is that as a commercial enterprise you will not be able to use other peoples creative commons - non commercial stuff unless you can get the originators express permission.

And we have had people worried about doing a map. Yeah, just do a vector one. Save it as a PDF or an SVG type and run with that instead.

I'll probably do a battle map for play on the table top with miniatures so that would be a nice big area to go for. I'll probably try to combine a lot of what I have managed to get right so far to this point. Like scripted tiles, contours & terrain etc. Not sure exactly what tho.

I'll run the thumbnails again this month (until Arcana gets the auto thumber going...). I don't want to keep downloading 10K square sized maps tho In the past I used to make 4K WIPs but its all a bit silly. So now my WIPs are about 2K max otherwise its like looking at them through a microscope.

I expect that with such an open ended criteria and a prize that this will make for the biggest turnout yet.

Edit -- Oh yeah, type "36 inches in cm" into google (the normal search engine request) and it will tell you the result. It has a built in calculator with many compatible units. As in
    "36 inches in leagues" gives 36 inches = 0.000164578834 leagues for those people who game in leagues, or 36 inches = 0.00454545455 furlongs if your so inclined Flippin eck it is complete isnt it.... 36 inches = 9 144 000 000 angstroms... Nach failes for "36 inches in roods"

Oh and 36x24 is 180ft x 120ft if 1 inch = 5ft scale (or 1:60) to save you the trouble of doing the obvious first bit of math.

Code:
    ### New Challenge Entry:Hoel,3875
    ### New Challenge Entry:gorkamorka,3878
    ### New Challenge Entry:Valarian,3880
    ### New Challenge Entry:Korrigan,3883
    ### New Challenge Entry:ukgpublishing,3886
    ### New Challenge Entry:Greason Wolfe,3887
    ### New Challenge Entry:Nomadic,3898
    ### New Challenge Entry:Sagenlicht,3914
    ### New Challenge Entry:Midgardsormr,3923
    ### New Challenge Entry:languard,3931
    ### New Challenge Entry:Rahva,3949
    ### New Challenge Entry:Steel General,3951
    ### New Challenge Entry:bryguy,3954
    ### New Challenge Entry:MarkusTay,3958
    ### New Challenge Entry:mmmmmpig,3964
    ### New Challenge Entry:Ascension,3979
    ### New Challenge Entry:Bohunk,3993
    ### New Challenge Entry:Malakor,4012
    ### New Challenge Entry:Ydars,4028
    ### New Challenge Entry:industrygothica,4044
    ### New Challenge Entry:Monks,4055
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-26-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Some interesting points to note tho is that as a commercial enterprise you will not be able to use other peoples creative commons - non commercial stuff unless you can get the originators express permission.
    Of course, I don't just grab any ole online map with CC license to attach, I get permissions first from all potential maps for sale. For instance, Anna has given me full and exclusive permission to print her maps of Greyhawk for any orders. The same is true for E.N. Publishing World of the Burning Sky maps, got permission from Russ Morrissey in person!

From many publishers, however, I have been declared exclusive on printing rights - 12 to Midnight, for example a modern horror RPG publisher out of Texas.

In addition when any customer says, "I've just downloaded a PDF map from such-and-such publisher - do I have permission to get this printed?" First I contact the publisher and insure that this is OK up front. Most publishers are more than pleased that I can print their maps at large format for their users, and so far no one has denied me the priviledge.

Any Guild maps included on my Ecommerce site, will require a permissions Email sent and received from potential maps uploaded here - I won't do it automatically. I am a responsible business.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    4. Bryguy - do you play an RPG? If so, is there a location that is especially important to your fellow players, or will there be a major location for your game early this year? Make a map that you can really use in your game and one that will be appreciated by your GM and the rest of your fellow players!

Sadly, no, I do not play any RPG

wait... do some videogames count as RPG?

Course, only videogame i have played that might be considered RPG that I might be able to make a map for is Kingdom Hearts I and II, but I played those mainly last year around this time, and I can hardly remember anything about them

If anybody has any good ideas, Im all ears, as I have hit a brick wall for ideas suddenly
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

@Bryguy - How about a map of a place in your favorite book? I think even if its based off of a map in the book as long as you give credit to the original artist you should be OK.

** Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this **
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast