Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: January Challenge: Create a Map for Print!

Or you could look around in the CWBP and see if there's something in there you'd like to map.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Post CC Map?

Bryguy - why not create a Conquer Club styled regional map, just make it big!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    @Bryguy - How about a map of a place in your favorite book? I think even if its based off of a map in the book as long as you give credit to the original artist you should be OK.

** Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this **

uh... idk which book is my favorite, it takes me about 3 days to read any book... from 200 pages - 900 pages, it takes me 3 days, more than 900 takes more

hmm...maybe one of the world from the Inkworld trilogy?? (Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath (Inkhert is coming out as a movie on january 23! yay!) ) but Id have to find a map for it, as the maps in the front of the books are not that good....

@--> Gamerprinter

Huh, might be able to do that, but it would have to be one that I create (maybe a map in Risk Map form? with territories and bonuses and such?)

Ive been working on a map for a challenge on Conquer Club, maybe something in that style...

So many choices! Im horrible at making choices
    Last edited by bryguy; 01-06-2009 at 01:12 PM.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Blog Entries

What I was getting at with the CC thing is that many tokens are CC licensed like say Kimmos character tokens. I was just giving warning to everyone that some people would get funny about selling maps with those tokens on them even if you created the map yourself but used lots of 3rd party tokens. So just be mindful about what tokens your popping down on the map. If those tokens came with a package then check that they say that you can create commercial maps using them. I know of a few packages where thats true and not true but its not for me to stick my neck out and make that statement for anything other than mine. And for the record, tokens shipped with the box set for mine are ok, those from the web site download are CC so not ok. (Just to make life complicated !)

For interest and since I use a lot of them... CGTextures can be used for free or commercially - BUT, it appears, not as CC (which I didn't realize)

http://www.cgtextures.com/content.php?action=license

http://www.cgtextures.com/content.php?action=faq

so your safe to use these textures as long as the resulting image is not CC licensed it seems.

I think the only time I would have a distinct CGTextures texture is in last months challenge entry but since I used the Dalek tokens too I wasn't going to send that to GP anyway. Weird and confusing all this licensing stuff. Hmm, gotta be careful with Ansium stuff then.

Guild Member

Would 22 x 17 in be acceptable? (standard BattleTech map size)

Post Yeah, I suppose...

Yes, I can allow 17 x 22 maps as this is standard CBT sized maps. However, if you can handle 17 x 22, why not 18 x 24, there's hardly a difference in file size for that. I'd like to stick to a minimum size and not allow every size possible. If you're using Heavy Metal Map as your mapping program I can see the size limitation issue - but that's the only exception.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Yes, I can allow 17 x 22 maps as this is standard CBT sized maps. However, if you can handle 17 x 22, why not 18 x 24, there's hardly a difference in file size for that. I'd like to stick to a minimum size and not allow every size possible. If you're using Heavy Metal Map as your mapping program I can see the size limitation issue - but that's the only exception.

GP
    18 x 24 is fine, i wasn't even thinking when I posted
    Worst case, I can throw a decorative border around the hexes that the neighboring maps can cover up (so it will blend in with other maps), but I don't think it will be a big deal.

And I was planning on hand-made from Illustrator

And thanks again for sponsoring this month

[Edit] Change of plans: I think I'll make a full sized map to your original specs and have a "1-sheet-only" terrain setting.
    Last edited by Darken; 01-06-2009 at 02:40 PM.

oooh nice! I think i might enter this. How do I do that..anyone?

monks

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post

Edit -- Oh yeah, type "36 inches in cm" into google (the normal search engine request) and it will tell you the result. It has a built in calculator with many compatible units. As in
    "36 inches in leagues" gives 36 inches = 0.000164578834 leagues for those people who game in leagues, or 36 inches = 0.00454545455 furlongs if your so inclined Flippin eck it is complete isnt it.... 36 inches = 9 144 000 000 angstroms... Nach failes for "36 inches in roods"

Oh and 36x24 is 180ft x 120ft if 1 inch = 5ft scale (or 1:60) to save you the trouble of doing the obvious first bit of math.
    That is so cool. Google really rocks.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    That is so cool. Google really rocks.
    I thought everyone knew that

its got some other things built in nicely... for example:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=golden+ratio+*+4

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast