Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: January Challenge: Create a Map for Print!

Post January Challenge: Create a Map for Print!

Well this my first time in posting a Challenge, as well as sponsoring one! For those who don't know, I own and operate Gamer Printshop specializing in printing RPG maps in full color large format prints that are laminated and shipped worldwide. I make maps too, of course!

This month we want you to design a map that is fitting to hang on your wall, or grace the gaming table with. I will print in full color the full size map of the Winning Entry, laminated and shipped to their address, worldwide.

The Winner will receive their map printed and included in the Cartographers' Guild section of my Ecommerce site for sales to the public. $2.00 from each purchase will be donated to the Guild.

The theme is Create a Map for your RPG campaign or fantasy novel - create a map that best fits your needs! Anything goes, this is a FREE FOR ALL theme. Do you need a city map, a regional map, and encounter map for your next gaming session? Anything qualifies.

Post a "placeholder" map to show WIP progress if you can.

The minimum criteria for the final map is at least a 100 ppi JPG sized at 24 inches by 36 inches (at least 2400 x 3600 pixels). This map is intended for print, so it has to be big. Maps are not limited to 100 ppi, however, I will accept maps up to 300 ppi, but this is not a requirement.

To make this challenge more special than one with a Prize, we hope to get many participants. Because I am the sponsor, I cannot participate.

Good Luck, everyone! I hope you're the winner, so I can print you a map!

GP

PS: once a winner is chosen, I will contact them and make arrangements to obtain the file for printing purposes. I will respond to any questions that you may have in this thread.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-05-2009 at 10:53 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Awesome, sounds like alot of fun. Best of luck to everyone that participates. I can't because my computer can't handle even the minimum size (a bit depressed about that ). However, I will keep up on all the maps that do get posted.

Post I could amend the map criteria...

Since its still early, I could amend the map criteria to 18 x 24 (1800 x 2400) but I really don't want to get smaller than this - lets get some more responses to this for a final consideration.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Post Placeholder for Gorkamorka

EDIT: Map gone to its own thread.
    Last edited by gorkamorka; 01-06-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Update map
    ---
    Gorkamorka

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    Awesome, sounds like alot of fun. Best of luck to everyone that participates. I can't because my computer can't handle even the minimum size (a bit depressed about that ). However, I will keep up on all the maps that do get posted.
    Sounds like a good opportunity to try out Inkscape or another vector drawing program. Vector images are resolution-independent, so once the map is complete it can be whatever size you desire.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Awesome ! I've been working on mine for two months (since the idea has been announced) and mine is almost finished, now ! The PS file is 10800 x 7200 at 300 dpi (or ppi, or whatever).

I'll post it very soon... I can already tell you it is the map of Lorac, my own D&D world, and I designed it in a "clean and clear" way.

Check out for I will need your help with one or two details...
    Back to business

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Sounds like a good opportunity to try out Inkscape or another vector drawing program. Vector images are resolution-independent, so once the map is complete it can be whatever size you desire.
    The only vector program I own is flash 8 and I don't want to use that for mapping (ick). The smaller size that GP offered though will work. My photoshop is able to survive using it.

In the interests of preserving board space and bandwidth, wouldn't it be a better idea to post a smaller map for judging and then the winner to send you the full sized map for printing?
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

I've got a dump question for this months challenge

What are 24x36 inches in cm? You know a small part of this wolrd uses a 'strange' decimal system
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenlicht View Post
    I've got a dump question for this months challenge

What are 24x36 inches in cm? You know a small part of this wolrd uses a 'strange' decimal system
    Roughly 60cm x 90cm

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast