Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concetron second version

It's your lucky day. I created a tutorial for the Concetron cliffs. These cliffs can also be used to create a quarry, although I don't explain this in the tutorial. The tutorial teaches you to create this effect (see screenshot).

The tutorial PDF contains 14 pages, but don't be discouraged by it. It's a step by step tutorial with a lot of images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	concetron_cliffs.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	14565   CD3 tutorial - Concetron cliffs.pdf  
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

It is my lucky day indeedly. Thanks again Gandwarf!

Hey Gandwarf, I've been thinking about picking up a copy of CC3 and City Designer, because large city maps are currently the bane of my GM existence. I had the opportunity to play around with CC3 on a friend's computer, and I really liked the sheets system and the fractal tools, but noticed the layers would pop out of sync on occasion and when lots of things were overlapping, the select tool would start to get glitchy. I was only working with the basic CC3 and was making an attempt at a pretty sizeable region map, so it may have been the resource load on my computer... What do you feel the advantages are to CC3 with City Designer over something like Gimp? I don't want to spend the almost $70 to get both unless I'm sure that I'll use it.

City Designer can become sluggish when working on larger cities, unfortunately. It's bearable though. The big advantage is that City Designer was specifically created for people who want to design cities. So it comes with a lot of tools and graphics which can be immediately used to create a city. With City Designer it's possible to create a decent looking city map within 30 minutes. You need to be very good with Gimp to get similar results. Of course, once you get good skills at Photoshop or Gimp the possibilities are nearly limitless! I never regretted buying CC3 and City Designer however and I can certainly recommend it.

Did you already check my tutorials to get some idea how the software works?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf, your work is absolutely amazing. Having just found the time to start tinkering with this software I've had for over a year now, I've come to appreciate the colossal amount of work and patience these maps require.

If I might ask a question - how long did something of this scale take you to create? I've taken on the challenge of my games GM to do up the map for the central city in the game, and the example maps he's given me are fairly tremendous and high in detail. Not that I'm balking at such a task, I certainly relish it, but I understand the immensity some of these maps can become. I've got your tutorials downloading as I speak and will blast through them so I can put together a city worthy of them.

Also, what map sizes do you typically use for something this big? I'm having a hard time getting a grasp of what's a good size to use for something like this.

Appreciate the assistance both in form of reply and in tutorials. Once more, absolutely amazing work and you deserve that award in every respect.

Cheers!
    Last edited by decryptix; 08-29-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Hi decryptix,

Thanks for your comment.
    This map took a long time, about 30 - 40 hours or so.

As for sizes... we all know size doesn't matter
    But seriously, I started this map on the default size and finished with it I think. If you ever run out of room, just remove the map border and you can expand as much as you like. That's the joy of City Designer 3, it's not a set canvas. You can keep expanding.

Good luck with the tutorials.

I never noticed this tutorial before...always wanted to know how CD3 worked. Thanks!
    M

How did you do the output?
    I have tried to save from CD3 as a JPG, but get some weird results. I have also printed as a JPG, but get some fuzziness.

Thanks for you response Gandwarf!

I figured about 50-60, which is likely more realistic for myself given my relative inexperience with the program, so it's nice to know I wasn't too far off.

I still haven't figured out scaling and the like and I've done a few small sections of the world map already, perhaps I should look into that.

Thanks for the information and keep up the fantastic work!

Quote Originally Posted by landorl View Post
    How did you do the output?
    I have tried to save from CD3 as a JPG, but get some weird results. I have also printed as a JPG, but get some fuzziness.
    I used PDF creator to print the map and save as JPG.
    Saving such a large map from City Designer 3 would always make it crash.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast