Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concetron second version

Post Concetron second version

Concetron is the capital of my fantasy world and it was the first city map I created with City Designer 3 (and I actually think it was the first city map I *ever* did). I think I improved my skills the last few months by creating dozens of maps and I wanted to do a new version of Concetron. Below you'll see the first version and my latest attempt. This map took 30+ hours to create and right now I think I will scream if I have to place another house or field

Backstory
    Concetron is the capital in the world called The Valley, which for centuries has been ruled by very powerful and sadistic wizards. After years of wars, famine and abuse a revolution spread across the land. Concetron was the first of the great cities to fall to a host of revolutionists. The wizard ruler Téodan was betrayed by his own guards, who in fear of a revolt in the city itself, opened the gates to the host outside.

Nowadays Concetron is the government seat of the Alliance, an organisation that rules most of the Valley. It was raised from the ashes of the revolution. The palace were the wizards once lived is now occupied by the Alliance regent.

Concetron is not Valley's most populous city, but the city and surrounding villages still contain over 30.000 inhabitants. The canals and walls were once pet projects of the wizards who ruled there and they employed thousands of slaves to create them. The canal was supposed to run to Ravenburcht, but was never finished.

There is a large merchant class in the city and they are very influential, controlling almost all the trade and business in the northern part of the Valley. The Rats Quarter is basically the slums and it has grown to its current size of the years. The merchants would like nothing better then to see the Rats Quarter destroyed, but the Alliance know that they would face a revolt if they tried to displace the people there. There's still a lot of conflict in the Valley and refugees are flocking to the north, making the Alliance even more hesistant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	concetron_old.jpg 
Views:	2784 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	8949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	concetron_final.jpg 
Views:	2157 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	8950   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Concetron3.jpg 
Views:	1604 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	13052  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 05-05-2009 at 05:53 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Nice. I see you put up the gatehouse, and another fortress on the hill.
    I think you might be the best CD mapper around

Quote Originally Posted by Hoel View Post
    Nice. I see you put up the gatehouse, and another fortress on the hill.
    I think you might be the best CD mapper around
    I don't think I am the best CD mapper around, but thanks for the compliment.

The water around the keep was something you made me think of, because of a reply in the Westdiep thread. It should be well defendable
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

The water in the city like that reminds me of some of the places in The Netherlands (like Leiden).

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice Gandwarf!

Love the new version, especially when you compare it to the original, it seems much more natural.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    The water in the city like that reminds me of some of the places in The Netherlands (like Leiden).
    Yeah, that's not entirely a coincidence. Concetron has similarities with Amsterdam, our capital. I used some of the concepts of that city to design Concetron.

Actually, the Valley resembles the Netherlands a bit as well. Most of the land is settled and there's lots of farmland. My fantasy is limited to what I have seen in my life
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 01-06-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Very nice Gandwarf!

Love the new version, especially when you compare it to the original, it seems much more natural.
    Thanks SG. As you can see I dropped the red labels, mostly because of your post in the WIP thread

wow your work is very good my friend
    this is a beutiful map

Beautiful work as always Gandwarf.

Can I ask how you did the Quarry and the hill that the Castle is on in CD3. I have been trying to emulate the style and haven't quite nailed it as well as you and would love to know how you did it (if you don't mind sharing that is)!

I am willing to share...
    Haven't touched CC3 in a few months though and I would need to write it out. I will see what I can do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast