Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: January Entry: Carlsborg 1890

Blog Entries

Hope some passing CL might be able to fix this then.

For now you can still add a new WIP tag each time and it will be alright. Fortunately in the html code thats scraped the keywords are at the top so its picking the next image. So edit another one in just above the last image and ill run the scraper again.

Post A CL can fix that.

A community leader can probably remove that. Some things you place in a thread or post can't be changed by the user, including the title. Someone should get to this in next day or two.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Ok. Here's what I'm up to.
    Added the foundation for the walls. The texture is very WIP. I'm trying to get a specific effect, but it'll stick for now.
    I'm in the process off adding foundations to all the buildings. It'll look better since i can play with the shadows. Haven't decided on how to do the roofs, but I guess they will be hand painted elements. I'll do a dozen or so and use...
    The main walls and the dry moat looks kinda nice i think. I want to add some gun emplacements on the main wall looking out over the glacis.
    If anyone wants it I can put together a short essay on fortifications, I'm getting all read up on the subject again after all the research

I should change the date on the map too. I found the date on the reference map, 1918, and my books on the subject all have a gap around 1870-1918. i think most of the buildings are correct for 1890 but the final buildings was added on the east side and I don't really know what was built where, when.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KarlsborgWIP4.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	880.8 KB 
ID:	8970  

Heija Sverge! And all that.

So what are you sourcing the map of? I googled Carlsborg (Karlsborg as well) and the fort and couldn't find anything better then an areal photograph taken at a steep angle.

Looking good by the way.
    ---
    Gorkamorka

As i noted before, I'm a certified guide at the fortress, followed in my grandfathers fotstep there I quess. Took a 3 moth class in the history of Carlsborg, the history of fortifications and artillery, swedish history of war and how to perform the guide tour. They sure crammed our heads.
    I've got a bunch of books and a binder full of copied papers. I've got a few dozen good and not so good maps of it. Most are building plans from 1817-1832 or modern maps from 1942 and on. I know I've got one book that is on loan to my uncle, and that has some maps I could use right now.
    My primary source right now is a map from 1918 and I think it's the best for the time period. I'm still not what to do with the east side, outside the walls. There's an ammunition factory there and a railway station. I need to finds some info on when those were built. Otherwise I'll jsut rename the project Carlsborg 1918 and leave it at that.

Blog Entries

Thats good. Maybe the fortress would license your map once your done.

I'll ask them nicely. Maybe the museum can buy it. I'm taking a pause from mapping today, so expect no updates.

I like the texturing. It's subtle but visible and gives a nice feel to what we're looking at. It will be interesting to see where this goes, particularly when (or if) you start labeling stuff. Looking forward to seeing more.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

The tag is taken care of.

I really love the colors of this map! The depth of the map is very nice as well. The only criticism I can offer is that the scale of the flagstone on the buildings looks a bit too big, but maybe they are that big.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

The building foundations will be mostly covered by roofs, and all textures are subject to tweaking at the final stage, they're all made with layer styles (almost everything except the heightmap is. All layers are gray for now.
    I've started some labeling and have found a nice font and style i like. I need to start working on roofs tonight. Might post a scaled down version of the whole map later tonight so you can see the scale of the thing. The walls are 5kms long, the land front is 678m long and there's some 100 buildings all over.
    I could really use CD for all the roofs *sigh*

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast