Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: January Entry: Carlsborg 1890

Here we go. Latest WIP in full scale. I've started on building roofs (using three layers to get the different roof heights) and labeling the main parts. I don't know how much i should label since I have a good reference map with a numbered list of every building. I think I'll go down to labeling the most important building inside the fortress istelf.
    The roof colors are coming and the next big thing is going to be the artillery emplacements on the walls. Also thinking about the final touches;
    -how and if i should frame it
    -if I should put in some nice drawings of important buildings in the upper left corner
    -if i should add a compass or something like that
    What do you think?
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KarlsborgWIP5.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	9113  
    Last edited by Hoel; 01-10-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Post Do it all!

I think you should do everything you suggested - Compass, illustrations, etc. Not absolutely necessary, but I do think you should add some type of framing, where the map stops and a white margin to the edge. Also consider some kind of grid in one hundred or 500 meters just to help us understand scale of the structures and complex. Then perhaps label/number your grid at the edge before the white margin.

Its only January 10th and the challenge is open to changes until the 26th - you've got plenty of time. However, if you're own life is too busy, its understandable. I think these added details would complete your map!

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-10-2009 at 07:54 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I'm unemployed and single. I've got all the time in the world!
    A grid.. hmm.. must try that.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice Hoel...I'll second GP's comments as far as additions to what is already fantastic.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Lookin pretty snazzy there. I try not to put in all sorts of extraneous stuff as I think it detracts from a map (unless it's a crap map then that's what ya want). All I'd do is a title and scale and maybe a matte frame in white or tan.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Smooth!

What app are you using?
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

So far Photoshop CS3 only. Some non standard plugins used in the texture making (seamless tiling scripts, mosaic filter). I've used some custom brushes too. The font is Augustus.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Got to say that I like what you have done.

As it stands atm, I would only label the major buildings because it looks like a "minimalist" type map and in order to keep that feel you should keep it "simple" and not too busy. If you do put a frame, I would suggest keeping it simple and subdued.

As far as the drawings in the corner, I would council against it. I do not think that you could do proper justice to them (at least not as good as the main map) at the scale that you would have to do it at to fit in the space you have.

Just my two cents worth
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

What makes it look minimalist?
    I'll put in a lot of trees and some elements for scale (cannons, carts and maybe market stalls on the sqiare) and the roofs will have different colors and maybe textures too.
    I was thinking of a picture of Götiska Valvet (gothian arch or should it be gothic arch?), but since it's in the city crest I might skip it. The city crest will be in there by the map title.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I was looking for the proper word, hence the "". By minimalist, I was not saying that there were no detail, which I can see and appreciate the work that went into this map, just refering to the fact that as it stands right now in the wip above, it is a very clean map without any "clutter" to take away from it as a whole. Adding things for scale is never a bad idea, but please do not add too much.

As someone said somewhere (I have forgotten where and who) "the hardest thing to do when trying to keep something "simple" is having the competence to know when to say that enough is enough."

One of the details that I am eagerly waiting for is the arty emplacements (Korash is a former Gunner of many years). Please do not take what I am saying as negative commentary, because I LIKE what you have done here, and was only commenting on what I saw above, not what you are planning on doing.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast