Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: January Entry: Carlsborg 1890

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

This map is very nice indeed. I have a couple of small queries with it. Firstly, I can't see the gate that Emma's Gate refers to - I can't see a feature in any of the surrounding walls that suggests the location of a gate. That might just be me being blind. Secondly, the map labels on the buildings and on the darker regions of the gravel areas are pretty tricky to read. Perhaps slightly heavier text for these (again, could be my eyes )

Other than these small points, this is a very clear map. It's great to see such a careful diagram of a real world fortress. It highlights many useful featuers of fortress design in a gunpowder era.

Emma's Potern and Potern III Are smaller gates leading through the wall out along the bastion. The entrances are not carved into the walls as the other gates so they don't show up on a top down map.
    I've thought about how to visualize that, but other than drawing lines on the walls for all the underground passages, I can't figure it out.
    Here's one of the detail sketches i made when i considered adding a lot of those. As you can see, there's a lot happening inside the walls. There are somewhere around 3kms of passages just in the southern walls. In front of the bastions there's 2 passages leading south for 500m all the way to the block houses on the first line.

Found a photo that shows the gate fron the inside.. somewhat. In the middle of the brick are is the gate (the other doors are into supply vaults and the ones on top are doors to the ammunition storage)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gate.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	9484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a5.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	9485  
    Last edited by Hoel; 01-20-2009 at 05:07 PM.

I'd suggest drawing in the sectin of visible roof and the hump in the earth rampart that appears to be right above it. Essentially all you need is some feature that will draw the viewer's eye so that they can make a good guess at where the gate is. I agree that drawing in all the passageways is probably not worth it.

Apologies, I posted this twice for some reason. Carry on, nothig to see here....
    Last edited by torstan; 01-21-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Although they would be really cool to add outside of the challenge if someone were to want to use this map in an actual game setting. Maybe put them on a separate layer/map so that they can be overlaid on the main map as needed?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

torstan: I'll look into giving it a hump. May add the casuns too. It's getting more and more detailed...
    RPMiller: I could create some sort of overlay for all the gates, galleries and stuff, maybe another map that covers a bigger area. If someone requests it, I'll do it.

Hoel! I'm glad you entered and created such a professional showing. This one is certainly one of my favorites - though I might abstain from voting, for the same reasons as not participating. I'm the prize-giver, so I shouldn't show any favoritism. I see a future for you in the industry. Don't give up - you will soon be "discovered" by some publisher, I am sure!

Good luck!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I just remembered that I had promised to share the drawing I made based on this map. I am not sure exactly what part of the fortress my photo reference depicted, but here's a rendition in graphite.

Apologies for the unintentional vignette. My illustration board was not flat, and my light was insufficient. Maybe the next time I need to photograph my large format work I'll overcome my laziness and set it up right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	090210Castle.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	14517  
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678