Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: January Entry: Gwaelydd Peninsular

Not every sheet has an effect on it as yet. Some sheets I've added and haven't got around to adding them. The roads sheet needs something added to it to soften the lines. With the trees, I think I've put the trees on the wrong sheet. They should be on the same sheet as the mountains and hills.

The trees, mountains and hills are from the Symbols Set 1 catalogue.
    The template is from the Campaign Cartographer Annual.
    Last edited by Valarian; 01-17-2009 at 03:19 PM.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Beautiful peninsula, I like the outline of it, the lower part of reminds me of the Iberian peninsula.
    The Northwest seems a bit empty, but still lack a long time, I'm sure you will leave your full map.

cheers.

Good luck.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Wip

Another update ... the areas of Cerigion and Arvan still to fill in.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CG2009-Jan.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	9381  
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

I can see you're putting an incredible amount of work into this Ian...

one suggestion, bunch the trees in the forests closer together. The scales of the forests and sheer size of the place are mismatched to my eye, but don't get me wrong, it's beautiful.

The forests of the peninsular are made up of mixed forestry (pine only on the hills and mountains). The climate is cool temperate. I'm trying to give the impression that the entire peninsular is forested with only some areas cleared along road, riverbank and settled areas (for farmland). The forests of the peninsular give way to the scrublands of the Tribelands and the open plains of the Outlands. Further to the south, there are the great Elven forests of Eltharion and Alarion (warm temperate region). Far to the East is another Elven forest called Kintharion, the original one and the homelands of the Elves.

The setting of the Gwaelydd Peninsular is low magic and Celtic Dark Ages in flavour. Other lands have more magic on public display, but the World of Belmyr is never as high fantasy as Forgotten Realms. There again, it's not just a sword and sorcery setting (like Conan Hyborian Age). In games I've run in the world, I think I've found a happy balance in the high and low fantasy elements. Magic is rare and generally feared. In the Peninsular, it's hidden and distrusted. In the old Hanrathic empire region, it's controlled by the Mage's Guild and the Guild must police it's own (Psi Corps for the fantasy genre, with rogue mages and the requirement for all mages to register with the guild). Only in Al-Haquim (Moorish in flavour and loosely based on the Emirate of Cordoba) is magic taught and openly used.

Map Finished map ... unless I spot something

Now have done the regions of Cerigion and Arvan, completing the map of the peninsula. For this map, I'll be leaving the rivers off.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CG2009-Jan.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	9424  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Dang, that's a lot of labeling...lookin good tho.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member

To quote: "Two thumbs way, WAY up!"

I like all the towns and stuff. One of the things that used to bother me about maps before I figured out "significance," was that there'd only be a handful of places per country, and that just didn't make sense to me at all.

So I really like all your labels.

They're not countries as such, they're regions named after the major settlement of the area. Each settlement is independent of one another. There's a set of loose alliances in place and feuds between certain lords. The ranking among the lords is based on the size of settlement. The lords of a region may band together, but the borders are fluid and settlements drift from region to region based on the loyalties and alliances of their lord. The major lord of a region will only hold the loyalty of the lords around him if he treats them well and holds their respect. A tyrant will soon find themselves without many supporters and may even find themselves facing an allied army from the surrounding settlements.

The exception is Corwyn. The lords of Caer Corwyn have been expansionist in the last few generations and have been swallowing up settlements in a sort of "join me or die" (and be replaced by my kin) strategy. The Lord of Corwyn has started to refer to himself as Teyrn (sovereign).

People familiar with the writing of Katherine Kerr will recognise the style of setting.
    Last edited by Valarian; 01-19-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: fixed Deverry spelling to the actual

Just another note on the map. Both "Dun" and "Caer" both meant "fort" at the base level. In the peninsular, I use the terms to mean degrees of fortification. A Dun is a fortified settlement, perhaps with a stone tower or broch (the equivalent of a Norman keep). A Caer will be a more impressive fortification, with a series of towers (the equivalent of a castle).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast