Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A comprehensive map of Avani

Trust me, thats coming, but i wanted to get all my text created first because you can't apply filters to text in photoshop that isn't "rasterized." If I rasterize the type, then I can no longer change the font size or other characteristics.

Basically, once I'm done adding text, I'll be able to rasterize and flatten all the text layers into one and then applying various filters to make it look more natural. It will be one of the last things to finish the map.

Posted three new versions. Biggest difference is the new compass which i think looks a lot better. You'll see various degrees of the woodcut between two of them and one that is back to the old single line with the outer glow, with the glow considerably toned down.

I also added the directional "pinwheel" from the compass for fun on a few. I'm not sure I really like it, but it was fun to try.

I still need to fix a little bit of text, and I really struggled with the woodcut. These were some of the best ones I came up with. They are much more subdued. To the point where I'm afraid they don't look realistic. I s'pose they don't really need to.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Even though I love the wood-cut affect, I think the fifth one is the best one so far.
    Great job!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the 4th one...woodcut without the sun rays in the background. Has my tongue "Wag"ging...heh, yeah I'm a dork.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm with Ascension. The fourth image is my favourite. Very nice job on the compass rose, too. We don't see too many 128-point compasses.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Yeah, i wasn't sure what to do when making the compass. I wanted to individual degrees to line up with the points of the rose, so it ended up with fewer "degrees" than a standard. I guess it's not a big deal. It is all "Fantasy" after all.

I still can't decide which version I like better. The non woodcut version looks a lot cleaner to me so I might stick with that for the overworld map. When I do regional sup-maps I think I'll use the woodcut more liberally. Still... not 100% sure. We'll see I guess.

Ok, so I think I've taken this map as far as it needs to go. My "final" version is the last one (Avani09.jpg if you're looking.) As much as I like the woodcut, I think this version provides a better "overworld" than the other. I have included the woodcut version as well, but I didn't change my text to accommodate so there are parts were the woodcut drowns out the text.

There are very few changes from these versions to the previous ones. Mostly the names and places have been sufficiently named, and the text softened.

Oh, and "Straights" changed to "Straits" (thanks Redrobes!)

If anyone has any other suggestions, or fixes please let me know. I'm all for improvements ;-)

On to regional maps and Creative writing!

Thanks for the input and kind words!

-Wag
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avani08.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	9119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avani09.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	9120  

Absolutely wonderful. All the symbols look great and I love the faded look.

Well, this map is coming very close to a masterpiece. I am reserving that title for a future map that blows me completely of my socks, but this one is coming close. It's one of the best I saw on the guild forum. Really professional quality.
    And I see you named all the locations
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Well, thanks everyone. Things are progressing nicely on the next map. I'll start a new thread that will be dedicated to that map when I get a chance. I'm starting with the Island of Gershom and lands beyond in the west.

Here is a very (VERY mind you) rough draft. I'm going to try to add a little dose of color (forests, compass, mountains, valleys) to spruce it up slightly. It will all be very subtle and understated if it makes it in at all. It will be a much "harder" style and more handrawn instead of printed look.

Again, a very rough first draft.

*Edit* Added 2nd draft with improved mountains, parchment, and subtle colors. Still a very rough draft.

Thanks!

Wag
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AvaniWest01.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	9272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AvaniWest02.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	9325  
    Last edited by Wag; 01-16-2009 at 01:15 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123