Thread: A comprehensive map of Avani

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip A comprehensive map of Avani

Hello Everyone!

After trolling the forums for the past year and lots of work refining my methods on various test maps, I finally decided it was time to create a serious and extensive map of a fantasy world. This is my first map and my also, my first post!

My world is called "Avani." My work is done in Photoshop exclusively. I’ve used Photoshop extensively in both work and school so I am somewhat well versed in the program. It never ceases to amaze me how much more a person can dig and learn with a program. The things that people have done here on this site are nothing short of amazing.

So to contribute, I present my work in progress. Currently consisting of more than 75 layers in Photoshop ranging in text layers, to texture layers, to color, layers and more I have a map that I can still completely rearrange without starting over from scratch.

I’m relatively pleased with the result thus far, but have found it exceedingly difficult to continue on the map as the details get smaller and smaller. I am currently working on labeling of cities, seas, inlets, rivers, landmarks and everything else I can. I am also considering adding roads or paths between the major cities.

At this point I’m looking for some advice. First and foremost, how am I doing? Are there things I should be considering doing that I’m not? Are there major mistakes that I've made? How much detail should I be adding? I'm also looking for suggestions as to how I can more clearly differentiate my deserts and plains. The texture’s I’ve played with have not worked well and I haven’t found any custom brushes that have fit the style and what I’m trying to do either.

My goal for the map is to create a complete world that can lead to other projects such as providing a setting for short stories, campaigns, and possibly even a novel. Once complete I will be writing an "encyclopedia" for the world as well to assist in the various methods of storytelling. The level of detail needs to be rather extensive for this reason. There is no doubt that writings will lead to more content as well which is why I have so many layers to work with, modify, and expand upon.

I've sank a lot of time into the map already and currently find the most difficult part to continue simply naming the geographic regions, rivers, lakes, inlets, channels, and so forth. Perhaps it is because I wish for the names to hold more meaning than simply making things up.

As you can no doubt tell, I'm a bit on the anal-retentive side of things and it’s been making progress a bit tedious. For this very reason, I feel it is important to turn to the community for support and feedback.

Thanks!

*EDIT*
    The "final" versions of this map may be found on page 3. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avani03.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	8963   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avani04.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	8984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avani05.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	9046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avani06.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	9047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avani07.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	9048  

Last edited by Wag; 01-11-2009 at 12:02 AM.