Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sea-focused map (Critiques requested)

@Ascension
    @SG

Agreed... mutilate the map a bit....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Bedwyr: I wish I came up with that style on my own, I found it here on the forums (over here), I couldn't even follow it entirely around the last parts, so I had to do some other stuff.

jfrazierjr, SG, Ascension: Hum, which tool should I use to do the mutilation?

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoTie View Post
    Bedwyr: I wish I came up with that style on my own, I found it here on the forums (over here), I couldn't even follow it entirely around the last parts, so I had to do some other stuff.

jfrazierjr, SG, Ascension: Hum, which tool should I use to do the mutilation?
    Are you using GIMP, Photoshop or something else? Check RobA's tutorial for doing weathered paper. End result, you would use a free from selection tool and then invert and cut away the "outside" edges to transparent.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm using photoshop.
    Hum, that simple eh? I'll give it a try and will take a look at the tutorial, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoTie View Post
    I'm using photoshop.
    Hum, that simple eh? I'll give it a try and will take a look at the tutorial, thanks
    Well. since you are starting with an full image already made instead of making the cut parts at the start, you will have to do some reverse engineering. ie, you will probably have to duplicate much of the actions on all of the existing layers.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

My first impression of the map is that it is a zoom in of a larger map.

If you don't want to tear or burn the edges, you could put the map in a magnifying glass or callout.

Have you tried simplifying it? Take away the compass rose and put a spear through the skull and crossbones pointing north. Treat it like a tracing of a real map doctored with special info.

Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 01-10-2009 at 12:45 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Print it, take it outside, rub it in the dirt for a while, light a corner on fire, hold the edges in some smoke (or do the old tea-soak thing) then scan it in. Or just create a new layer with a bunch of jaggies around the edges and play with the layer styles like outer glow using a black set to color burn.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12