Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea-focused map (Critiques requested)

Post Sea-focused map (Critiques requested)

Hey guys, I was creating this map in the event I come to DM a game again (based on the One Piece world and feel) but I think it could use some tinkering but I dont know what exactly to do.

So, as mapmaking people and as (if you can put yourself on the shoes of ) some RPG player, what would you like to see on the map? How could I improve it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eastblue4_large.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	8964  

The size of the compass makes it a little overpowering at the moment. I'm not sure if that would change as more elements get added to the map.

I'd like to see some landmarks. Cities, obviously, but also some markers for shipwrecks and/or battles, ruins, suspected pirate coves and the like, where the PCs can go and poke around for treasure and adventure. Some cryptic notations might also be fun--some numbers or directions that mean nothing alone, but might be useful when the PCs get hold of some additional information later on.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I agree with Midgard.
    Also, somehow the islands don't look natural to me. They look like they were carefully placed by someone... mainly because they tend to be the same size and are at the same distances from each other. Try to shuffle things a bit. Creation is chaos

That's just some nitpicking, I like your style and the sea dragon!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Hum, will get to work on the landmarks and markers. About the islands, well, they were made using a tutorial (an awesome one I found here) that makes random stuff, granted I erased some of the stuff around it so I think thats why it feels they were carefully placed (which I totaly see now that you mentioned )

That sea dragon? Yeah, to find that font took me longer than to make the whole map (and that took quite some time), and I owe it all to the guys here that replied to my post. It isnt even a sea-dragon, I had to cut around it and edit some

Thanks a bunch for the help

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

For a sea-focused map, what I would call a mariner's map, I would expect to see wind and ocean currents, depth markers (also called soundings), latitude and longitude lines, reefs and shallows locations, plus notes in the margin for indigenous tribes, plants and animals, plus the above mentioned things like coves, shipwrecks, etc. and possibly some star notations for navigation if the culture is not of a sufficient technology level. Mapping out the geography is the easy part...it's all that detailing that is mind-numbing.

On the other hand, if I were a player, all I would want to know is where the caves and temples are (marked with a big X) so I can go and take their stuff Solid start, just keep at it...I hate detailing too.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

You could get really OCD with the details. The maps from Bethsoft's Morrowind had nearly every cave, ruin, and structure in the game. You just had to look veeerrry closely to see that a black smudge was not just a smudge but a cave waiting to be explored. Tiny things like that nestled in hills are very fun.

Well, tried to follow the advices as much as my learning skills and plot reasons allowed me to so far. Here's the result; any further tips?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	East Blue.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	9009  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is only a decorative addition but...to me, it seems to be screaming for a torn/burnt edges thingy.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Awesome work. Do a tutorial!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm with Ascension the edges of the map cry out to the heavens (yeah sounds corny I know - so sue me ), for somekind of treatment to "rough them up a bit" - coming along nicely though.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast