Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January Entry: Lorac, the World of Marble

Wip January Entry: Lorac, the World of Marble

Hi all !

At least I can post the map I've been working on for the last two months... I would have wanted to ask your advice sooner but I wanted to keep it for this challenge... So this is it : the map of my own fantasy world, Lorac.

Here are a two questions that need answers :
    1. Grid or no grid ?
    2. State borders of no state borders ?

Note that, as the map is intented to be used in my campaign, it is written in french (except for a few city and country names for which I used mostly real languages - welsh, gaelic, german,...). Don't be afraid to ask if you see anything that needs translation.

The aim of the map design was to be clean and clear, no useless (even though nice) elements.

Most of the mapping elements are home-made. The only things I used that I didn't do myself are fonts (used Dukeplus, Chantelli Antiqua and Deutsche Zierschrift).

I'm ready to take good note of your comments ! Hope you like it !

NB : There seems to be a problem with the Guild's database, so I posted the image HERE. Note that it is a progressive image so it could take some time to show good quality. Also note that this is a "small" version (5400*3600), the full version is 10800*7200...
    Back to business

Blog Entries

Yes there is a problem with the images for the vBulletin forum software. They have some arbitrary 5K max size so if you got a 4K one then it would work. I'll have a look now.

Very nice. Very clean lines - inkscape ? I could read most of the french but then it went into latin and I lost it. Lots of Welsh sounding names on there too. My only crit is with the sand on the dunes which has some horizontal lines on the texture. You can usually fix that by taking your dune texture and putting it down about 3 times at different and mismatched scales. Like 1:1, 1:1.7 and 1:2.3 or something like that - prime numbers are best. Anyway, that breaks up any pattern in them.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-07-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

All I got when I followed that link was a broken image marker
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

@Redrobes : Thanks for the crit, I'll try to see what I can do about it... About the image, it's 3.19 Mo, so should work, but all I got is a white screen after like 2 or 3 minutes uploading...

@Steel General : re-tested it, seems to work for me...

The only important latin sentence is the one in the bottom left, which is the Haerym University motto and means "I am Knowledge, and nothing that is human is unknown to me".

About the lines, it's a trick I found : I detoured my map and then used a "border" Layer Style in PS. Looks like vectors but it is a lot easier to do ^^
    Last edited by Korrigan; 01-07-2009 at 01:55 PM.
    Back to business

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'm also getting the 'cannot display image as it contains errors' message.

Blog Entries

Ok try this:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/Ge...rigan1/tmp.jpg

and maybe you can post little updates based on this instead of the full thing. If the link above is not working after a few weeks it means I have been spring cleaning.

Ok, try THIS LINK, then... hope it works...
    Back to business

Together ^^
    Back to business

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Redrobes' link works, the other gives the same error as before.

Looks good - lots of detail in there. I'd skip the grid, but keep the borders. A few of the texture fills are confusing. For example, what's the purple hashed section down at the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Redrobes' link works, the other gives the same error as before.

Looks good - lots of detail in there. I'd skip the grid, but keep the borders. A few of the texture fills are confusing. For example, what's the purple hashed section down at the bottom?

Heh.. thats what the legend is for (thought I agree I don't like the color choice. Marias seems to be a French word for Marsh, which is what I thought it might be. Seems rather odd though to have the one marsh so darn close to the desert area though....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast