Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm glad to be here

Post I'm glad to be here

My maps blow. I have CC2 but it seems like I never have the time to work through the learning curve. Maybe my wife should chain me to the computer and load CC2 and not feed me until I've drawn a map that's as good quality as the ones I've seen on these boards.

Looks like starvation is in my future.

My current need is to draw building plans and a bit of the exterior area, which includes a river bank. So, I need more than rectangles. I tried graph paper, but soon the eraser bits filled more of the paper than my lines. I started thinking that the issue is with my process, not with the medium. For example, does anyone use a sketch or prototyping stage before doing the final version? I think it was because I was trying to draw something that I didn't have a clear mental picture of that I was having such problems Monday night.

Anywho, my name is Johnn. I publish an RPG ezine called Roleplaying Tips Weekly. I've also just started a DM blog that includes two fluffy mapping posts:

Drawing RPG Maps

Cure DM Writer’s Block With a Map

I know Arcana from years ago when we worked on some Roleplaying Tips related stuff. Also, Mike from RPG Print Shop suggested I lurk over here to pick up some great mapping ideas.

I'm glad to be here.

Johnn

Ha! I've been reading your tips for some years. I've been off the mailing list for a while, but I pop in to read the archives.
    Thanks for the great work!
    I'm not a CC mapper, but any help i can give

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Several very knowledgeable CC users here (I am not one of them), I'm sure they will be along in due time to answer any questions you may have.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Johnn!!! Absolutely delighted and honored to have you here as a member!!!

I can personally guarantee you that if you stick around you'll be the mapping envy of your gaming group in no time (unless others in your group have already been hanging out here, because then we've already corrupted them)
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Thanks for the welcome, guys.
    Johnn Four
    Roleplaying Tips E-zine
    Campaign Mastery blog

Post Finally showing up!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnFour View Post
    I know Arcana from years ago when we worked on some Roleplaying Tips related stuff. Also, Mike from RPG Print Shop suggested I lurk over here to pick up some great mapping ideas.

I'm glad to be here.

Johnn
    Glad to see you finally showed up to say, "Hi!"

And that's Gamer Printshop, not RPG Printshop, but close enough - which reminds me I have to send me ad over to you yet... never enough time...

Post what you got in the World/Regional or General WIP Forum, and let us help you out. We do have some CC2/3 gurus here, though that's not me! I can help you out with just about any other application, though.

Or let one of us whip you up a map, it would be our pleasure!

I seen you lurking a few weeks ago, I'm glad you finally posted!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Hey there, Johnn! Glad you finally got around to posting here.

I generally make a couple of sketches prior to starting a map, and I like to make lists of things I need in the map and objectives I have for it. If I intend to use a new technique, I'll prototype it, but I like to keep the prototype pretty close to what I'll ultimately want, so it's easy to transition from testing to the actual map if I come up with something really good.

If my final map looks anything at all like what I started with, that's very surprising. Definitely put up a work in progress thread--I learned tons more that way than I could have trying to learn CC3 on my own or through tutorials.

--
    Bryan Ray
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Sorry about the name mixup Michael. D'oh.

What is the consensus on the boards about CC2 vs. CC3. Should I upgrade?
    Johnn Four
    Roleplaying Tips E-zine
    Campaign Mastery blog

Yes, you definitely should. The additional features of CC3 are well worth the cost. I don't have any comparisons on hand, but the blur and glow effects alone really improve a CC map's look. To say nothing of the greatly improved symbols (though I still use the CC2 line artwork more than anything else).
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

Welcome. On my sig is a keyword index link - look up CC3 and see zillions of threads for that. Neon and Jaerdaph are strong CC users. Lots of tips and stuff here for maps - enough to drown in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast