Thread: January Entry: Dead and Still Standing

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip January Entry: Dead and Still Standing

Well here I go, my first time on one of these challenges.

I'm going to be doing a miniature scale (1 inch to 5 feet) battlemap for a Post Apocaliptic Zombie scenerio (well stick to what i know) portraying a city aid station in the early stages of the rising. Expect alot of blood, gore and destruction.

As the challenge was for a 36 x 24 inch map I've started by laying down a grid layer (I'm not sure if I will leave this on when finished). I originally started at 300dpi, but after memory issue's I dropped back to 150dpi.

Please note that all these map images are at 50% scale to fit within the forum restrictions on image size.

Next step lay down some asphalt. The quickest way to do this was flood fill a road layer with an asphalt texture again at 150dpi and 1 inch by 1 inch. Then I just cut away the area's where I am going to have the buildings.

With roads we need pavements, another layer and a nice light grey concrete texture with curb stones for edging. I have also drop shadowed this to bring it out from the road.

Finally, road markings and drains. Using a textured yellow fill. I always find road marking difficult. Being British we have white lines, but alot of the textures I see are yellow. In the end I figure yellow looks nicer and adds some colour to an otherwise bland black surface.

I've also included a thumbnail of the WIP sans gridlines.

Next step fill in those missing blanks a bit.

Until next time.

John Milner
    UKG Publishing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grid.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	8972   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	road.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	550.4 KB 
ID:	8975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pavement.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	707.0 KB 
ID:	8976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	road_markings.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	738.0 KB 
ID:	8977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip_070109.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	622.4 KB 
ID:	8978