Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A brief on Japanese Fortifications

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Oh, I'd love to see that since all I have are the replica swords (gave my katana and wakizashi to my best friend for a wedding gift...she was less than pleased though )
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post I've got a some blades too...

I have a 200 year old family katana. As well as some blades only (no hilts) for 2 katana and a wakizashi. Actually at my parents house, so not mine per se.

GP

EDIT: my ancestors were not samurai, rather physicians for the local daimyo for almost 1,000 years, so were allowed to wear a single blade, katana only, not the daisho or two blades as were carried by samurai class. In fact the family name (mother's side) is Shimizu - which means "purest water", probably related to the curative means of the first of that name.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-08-2009 at 08:45 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Why this obsession with katanas? Give me a good sharp longsword any day.

Oh yes I did!

Post I'm really not a sword guy!

If anything, I collect maps, I don't collect swords - my swords are family heirlooms, not something I paid money for or obtained for my collections. They are cool don't get me wrong, but I'm not a knife guy.

GP

PS: when I was in the Army, I was a member of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) - you know those guys who dress up like knights and beat each other up with rattan "swords", at our own private tourneys. That was a long time ago, but I know how to wield a sword and shield.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-08-2009 at 09:15 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I did SCA in college for a lil bit as well as fencing club before I went into a fraternity and all that geeky stuff went bye bye until grad school. The swords, I just put on the wall until I can get this one $10,000 katana that I've had my eye on for a while so I can whack down on the unruly teenagers around here
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-09-2009 at 12:04 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I've been to Japan a few times... but only the airports in Tokyo and Osaka (I think), when I was on my way to the Philippines.

Would like to have been able to visit a few places but never had the chance.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

GP, I'm sorry I hijacked your thread.

Now... about those fortifications.....

Veer right, thread jack ahead!

Since we are on the subject of Japanese RPGs and fortifications. How many of you folks play Sengoku? If you are not familiar with it, do you remember Bushido? Sengoku is essentially the latest iteration of the game, but uses a different system and IMNSHO is far superior to Bushido.

If you want to discuss it further or want more info, I've started another thread in the General Discussions here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3907
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Crosslink to Hoel's "How to build a fortress"

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3890
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Applicant

Post Nijō Castle in Kyoto

Most of Nijō Castle in Kyoto is still standing. Though most of it has burnt down at different times and been replaced.

It's not very defendable and it seems like it was mostly built by the Shogun to keep an eye on the Emperor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nij%C5%8D_Castle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast