Thread: The City and Surrounds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Map The City and Surrounds

My second attempt at making an overland map

I uses SS1 from CC3 for the map since I find this easier to use for the mountains and the rest.

I am planning to make this into a whole series of maps, and link them all into a virtual atlas.

I have also included a player's type handout, since I wanted to play around with the RGD matrix process and hiding layers functionality of CC3.

Refer to the City/Town mapping forum for the map I have made of Efuf, one of the small towns on the map.

Background:

The map is centred around The City. It was build over the ruins of the city of the predecesors Karath-Din. The surrounding forest is due to the enroaching power of the Trickster on the City, since it has only been a sort while since he has been killed.

The forest is the main holdout of the Pagans who worship the Trickster. The Trickster is the god of choas. He was recently killed when he attempted to destroy The City

To the east in the Esse mountain range is Cragscleft prison. This is the main prison and manufactory for the Hammerites. The Hammerites are a sect which worship the Master Builder and is very involved in construction and driving the manufacture of more advanced technology, eg. street lighting for the street of The City

To the south of The City is Markham's isle. This used to be the main base of Markham's pirates, but since his demise the island has lain unpopulated due to the stories of ghosts that do the rounds in The City

The City is a sovereign City state ruled over by a heriditary Baron and nobles. It is in competion with the surrounding City States and in the past some wars have been fought.

The City on the main trade route between Blackbrook in the west and Cyric and Bohn in the east. It is the main centre of manufactured goods for the whole region and is also the main producent of coal for the region.

It has taken over from Blackbrook as the main coal producent in the last couple of years, since coal was discovered in the western forest, which has led to a war between Blackbrook, which used to be the main coal producent and The City. Blackbrook has won the last couple of campaigns, especially since the Hammerites have withdrawn their force from the army. This has led to Blackbrook currently occupying the Northern Territories and making live in the City difficult.

The Baron of the City and the army is currently camped close to the area, and they are in the planning process of trying to take back their territory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orginal City and Surroundings.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	9050   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orginal City and Surroundings - Player.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	870.6 KB 
ID:	9051  

Cool map Mongoose. I like the layout and the fact you only used a couple of different symbols (and didn't go overboard). Also, nice backstory.

Here are some suggestions:
    - place some single trees near the forest to suggest the forest is thinning there (and encroaching).
    - change the black border of the lake to the green border of the land/sea.
    - add an effect to some of the symbols, like the cities. A glow for example. You might also want to place a little grey or brown contour below each city.
    - Northen territories it says on your map: spelling error?
    - Smoothen the border between the green lands and desert a bit. Oh, and in the player handout the difference between sea and desert is lost I think.

I am interested to see any more maps you might do.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice job so far, will keep an eye on this and see where you take it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I think it is a good looking map overall. The only thing that I would suggest is to put a little more curves into the rivers. They look pretty unnatural. It is also good to vary their widths some, but that takes a little more work. You could just hit the rivers with the fractalize command, which will give them more curves.