Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone play Sengoku? Formerly known as Bushido.

Post Anyone play Sengoku? Formerly known as Bushido.

This thread is for anyone that wants to discuss Sengoku more in depth.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Post I downloaded it awhile back...

I downloaded Sengoku awhile back, and I'd have to say it is a very historically accurate version of a Japanese historical based RPG. Sengoku is of course, the Time of War. Prior to the Shogunate when this generalismo provided an iron handed central rule of Japan there was century of constant war between various noble houses, clans, and struggles to place different emperors on the throne.

Unfortunately, my players are fantasy based gamers - they like magic and monsters, more than historical gameplay. So I never could find a group to play Sengoku.

As far as fantasy based Japanese-esque RPGs go, Legend of the Five Rings is popular, though I hate the map, or at least the concept of a land-locked (more like China) Japanese empire. Much of Japan's unique history and culture is derived from the fact that Japan is an island nation. Separated from outside influences by at least the Sea of Japan.

On the same hand, I've never cared for Oriental Adventures, especially since WotC licensed the L5R Rokugan world map - eck!

As an aside, parsing out the name Rokugan (roku is Japanese for the number six.) What does six or Roku have to do with five rings?? "Go" is number five in Japanese, not that they should call it "Gogan", but steer away from vocabular usage to suggest the number six has anything to do with anything.

I agree, though if you want to play an historical Japanese setting, Sengoku is probably the most accurate available. Although the game mechanics rules in Sengoku allow for the katana fights against large odds, like you'd find in Japanese adventure movies - so there's a bit of fantasy element in the game play as well.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Haven't done any roleplaying in ages, I just enjoy creating stuff for it. I think an RPG like Sengoku would be interesting to try and I would think easy enough to add monsters and other such things.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Check out the movie "RAN"

As an aside, I am usually not the guy who enjoys watching foreign movies, especially those where I have to read "subtext" at the bottom of the screen since the movie hasn't been dubbed in English, and spoken in the original language.

If you want to learn more about Japanese culture, check out the movie "RAN" I am not a movie buff, but I know that this movie was directed by one of the most famouse (recent) directors of Japan (though he is dead now and I don't know his name.)

"Ran" is basically the retelling of Shakespeare's King Lear, but told through a Japanese samurai family, rather than an English one. Japanese adventure movies are bloody, bloody, gory. When a katana wielding samurai splays open an opponent, blood sprays all over the attacker and the wall behind him, and running all over the floor like a spilled 55 gallon barrel of blood - seriously.

There's a scene of a Japanese castle sitting in a valley, with thousands of flintlock bearing ashigaru (samurai henchmen) on a hill, which you can't see clearly due to volumes of black powder smoke filling the air, except for the flashes of gun fire, onto the castle that is splintering from bullet hits, dead Japanese defenders and rivers of blood flowing out - all the while some classical European musical score for sound - its an awe inspiring scene.

The final battle scene involves three armies each distinctly wearing the colors of their noble house (so you can easily tell who is fighting for whom) with thousands of blades and guns blazing, awesome filiming I tell you!

Like I said, I'm not into subtext movies, but this has got to be one of the best foreign films I have ever seen - and I haven't watched it in almost 20 years. If you want to get the feel for Japanese medieval war - watch this movie (don't know where you can find it, but do it. You won't regret it.)

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-09-2009 at 12:29 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Haven't done any roleplaying in ages, I just enjoy creating stuff for it. I think an RPG like Sengoku would be interesting to try and I would think easy enough to add monsters and other such things.
    There actually are "monsters" and spells in Sengoku, but they are "traditional Japanese" monsters and spells.

We started work on a second edition of Sengoku, but we wanted to use an updated version of the Action! System since that is GRG's RPG system and we felt it would allow us to do a lot more with the second edition of Sengoku including adding in more fantasy elements for those that wanted them. Unfortunately through a chain of events Mark, the owner of GRG, had to put the development on hiatus and my work on the 2ed of of A!S came to a halt as well because of that. We tried outsourcing it, but it was just too expensive and RPG sales have been on a down turn for several years now so you can imagine the minimal amount of sales that would come in from such a niche product line.
    Last edited by RPMiller; 01-14-2009 at 11:32 AM.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I actually own the boxed set of Bushido, and even played it for about a year. WAAAAAAAAY back when. The game was run by someone who studied Japanese History for about 5 (I think) years in Japan even. It was fun until he moved.

I liked the system a lot, and the info/background is quite interesting.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Sengoku actually came about completely because of Bushido, and its enjoyment by its fans. Essentially Sengoku "is" Bushido (updated/upgraded a bit). There are a lot of politics and whatnot behind the story that I can't really share here.

One of the contributing factors to the success of Sengoku is that one of the authors is a degreed Japanese historian if memory serves and therefore it allowed the setting to really be ramped up a lot and the depth and feel were dramatically enhanced by his input.

Needless to say I loved Bushido as well, and still hold out hope that one day we'll be able to resurrect Sengoku and bring it back into the lime light.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    As an aside, parsing out the name Rokugan (roku is Japanese for the number six.) What does six or Roku have to do with five rings?? "Go" is number five in Japanese, not that they should call it "Gogan", but steer away from vocabular usage to suggest the number six has anything to do with anything.
    LOL! Gogan sounds like a Kaiju monster to me. I can see it now... Godzilla vs Gogan.

I checked my Japanese dictionary and 'gan' means 'cancer' - so rokugan could mean 'six cancers'. I also checked the name rokugan on Jim Breen's WWWJDIC (an online Japanese-English dictionary) and the closest match was rokudan which is the name of a koto composition.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    If you want to learn more about Japanese culture, check out the movie "RAN" I am not a movie buff, but I know that this movie was directed by one of the most famouse (recent) directors of Japan (though he is dead now and I don't know his name.)

"Ran" is basically the retelling of Shakespeare's King Lear, but told through a Japanese samurai family, rather than an English one. Japanese adventure movies are bloody, bloody, gory. When a katana wielding samurai splays open an opponent, blood sprays all over the attacker and the wall behind him, and running all over the floor like a spilled 55 gallon barrel of blood - seriously.
    That would be Akira Kurosawa. He is also famous for such movies as The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and many, many more. He is considered as one of the best directors worldwide of all time. His samurai films are fantastic! I have to admit I haven't seen much of his other work... well, not yet at least.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

*Minor threadjack* Cool new avatar Turgenev *End minor threadjack*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast