Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cruach Emyn

Just a guess, but is the reason for the font looking not right that it has remained a pure black while the rest of the map has been faded?

You might be able to use photoshop to very subtly erode the edges of each of the letters and fade them a bit?

Just a guess...

Ravs

If you saved first as a PSD, and used layers, you should be able to go back and redo the parts you don't like. That said, I still can't really see anything wrong with it. It's very visually pleasing, through and through.

Guild Novice
    Traversing the fistulas of cyclopean space...

Good idea Ravels, I might try that.

Yeah, I can go back and replace the parchment layer, unfortunately I'd have to redo the border as I burned it (and the skull and north) into the parchment layer. I could patch it up I guess...but as you say it looks fine really, I'm just striving for perfection! I am happy enough with this version, it being a first attempt at a number of new techniques (not to mention programs!)

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Cheers,

Shadowfane

PS are we the only three on these boards? It seems aefully quiet! Is there somewhere else cartographers hang out or are we just very few

Very very nice! I love the 'organic' feel to the map and the coloring really gives it a lot of character.

Guild Novice

Cheers, RP

This is another from the same module I'm working on - probably not how it will end up, but I'm playing around with the look of the map 'burnt' (or sepia inked) into a fragment of cloth or parchment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kregars_den_600_x_480_139.jpg 
Views:	1661 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	271  

By the lord Harry, it just gets gooder 'n gooder!

BTW in response to an earlier post: In PS you can also keep your background on one layer and do the burns on a layer above it. Then just play around with the blending modes...

Guild Novice

Thanks, Sir Alain, I hadn't realised that. I did keep a copy of the blank parchment, but not the parchment + border, so after I (IMO) fluffed the positioning of the skull and the 'N' it was a bit of a pain. I actually solved the problem by just 'cloning over the skull, but I'll remember your suggestion for next time!

On the last map, I'm waiting to get a graphics tablet as I'd like to do a strip of parchment (longer than it is wide) with a side view of the castle at the top and the floor plans underneath. I could do it by mouse, of course, but I think it would be easier with a tablet. Now to decide which one to get!

Cheers,

Shadowfane

Superb!

I use a Wacom Intuous (A4 size) - and I love it. I am trying to get to grips with Painter IX so I opted for a larger tablet. Many people say that the A5 size tablet gives you all you need (and is in fact more convienient to use than an A4) at a smaller price. Not having tried the A5 size I can't really comment.

I was expecting to be totally blown away by the tablet as many have been but in practice find myself using it in combination with the mouse quite frequently.

Cheers

Ravs

I like the direction you are going, but I'm undecided about the "clean" look of the map mixed with the "natural" look of what you are shooting for. I'll be watching intently to see how you mesh the two.

Another thing you can monkey around with in PS: You can drop your map on a layer above the parchment and change the blending mode on the map itself. If I remember correctly, burn mode does just exactly that, burns the image into the background, giving it that organic look. Overlay and screen do some pretty interesting effects too...

I've been drooling over a tablet for quite some time. Maybe soon LOL

Can't wait to see whatcha do next Shadowfane!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast