Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cruach Emyn

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just got a tablet froma coworker and am hoping to experiment with some tablet tracing.

I see in Dungeon Magazine, a lot of maps that look hand drawn, but I recognize a lot of the buildings from CC2...so I think I want to try that concept also.

Anyway, sorry for the OT, thats a nother topic altogether. These maps look amazing shadowfane. the burnt parchment one looks REALLY good, but may be a bit over 'shopped...I'm not sure though. But I sure ain't complaining.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Hi Shadowfane

I love the parchment map, it's really great. I think the idea, how you have done the forests on the map is really great too. In this way, the map doesn't seem to be overloaded with trees, but one get a good image of the surrounding forrests though. Great Deal!

One question:
    Would you provide us with the parchment background as a file (perhaps in png)? Perhaps one with the midnight symbols and one cleaned out?
    That would be really great though, but if you don't like to share the parchment file, I woudl understand that too.

Anyway, you could give some hints how you created the parchment background.
    Come to where the kobolds are...
    www.dnd-gate.de - The German D&D Community

Guild Novice
    Traversing the fistulas of cyclopean space...

Hey Chaps, thanks for all the positive feedback!

I've had to lay off the map making for a while as rl has got rather busy, but I'll be back into it shortly, and with a new idea to try thanks to your suggestion, Alain.

Arcana, let us know how your Adventures in Tablet go. When I get mine we can comapre notes (FANTASTIC site by the way, cheers!).

Ravells, would you recommend the A4 Inutous then? That was the one I was thinking of going for.

RPMiller, would you expand a little on what you meant by clean mixed with natural? Please be specific about what doesn't gel for you - these are very much works in progress (both the style and using the programs) and I'm always interested in other opinions. Ta!

Talamar, thanks for the kudos! I'm more than happy to share the parchment file. How am I best to do that? Is there a particular way you'd prefer larger files to be stored on the site, Arcana?

Cheers,

Shadowfane

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Check it out...my google ads are startign to make sense...this page has Links to Wacom and other digital pen software sites...yay google!

Note: This is not a hint to click on banner ads. They're there merely out of propriety...I don't require ad revenue to run the site (yet)
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

@shadowfane:
    if the file is too big to post it here, just send it to me at talamar@dnd-gate.de

thanks a lot

Well I primarily got the tablet for 3d modelling and when I was asking around as to which was the best size tablet, most of the pros I talked to said that the A5 size tablet was actually more convenient for them (it takes up less room on your desk and you don't have to move the stylus as far), but at the end of the day it's a matter of personal preference.

They did recommend the A4 size if you were using applications like Corel Painter where you needed more control over sweeping strokes.

To a (wo)man, however they all said get the Wacom Intuous.

Ravs

Shadowfane, I'm referring to the clean textured map in a medium that hints at being handdrawn. Does that make sense?

@Shadowfane:
    1. I sen doyu an PM regarding the parchment files (aee post above)

2. what about making som short explanations / tutorial how you did those finde forest in that map.
    thanks

Guild Novice
    Traversing the fistulas of cyclopean space...

Hi guys,

Sorry for my absence, I've been really busy.

Talamar, I've sent you the parchment file.

As to a tutorial, well I followed Patrice's tutorial on using CC3 to do contours; deviating from his suggested workplan only really by adding a drop shadow on the 'lowest' layer to give that 3D effect. Oh and putting in a texture. I then exported the file as jpg or bmp and opened it in PS to apply various effects to get the look I wanted. TI'll see about writing down exactly what I did (if I can remember )

I'll get back to this thread later next week, when I can.

Cheers,

Shadowfane

okay thanks so far.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123