Thread: Cruach Emyn

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice
    Traversing the fistulas of cyclopean space...

Post Cruach Emyn

Hello all,

This is my first post on Cartographer's Guild (hopefully first of many) - great site, hopefully this will become a rich resource and friendly community for cartographers of all ilks.

I am also new to Campaign Cartographer, having recently purchased CC3, and I have to say that I was a little underwhelmed by the 'off-the-shelf' capabilities of the program - not to mention frustrated by the lack of an (easy to follow) tutorial and the alien (to me) mode of operating compared to other drawing programs.

So it was with great pleasure that I came across Patrice Dumas' tutorial. Whilst not showing me how to use the basic tools of the program, which i picked up as I went through the tutorial by trial and error - it did open my eyes to the power and versatility of CC3. Thank you Patrice!

I have produced maps professionally before, and Patrice's map style was similar to things I've done in Photoshop and CorelDraw. Of course, the beauty of CC3 is the fractal pens to get that organic and natural look! Overall, I'm not decided on which I program I prefer - they each have their pros and cons, obviously, and I am as yet still unfamiliar with CC3.

I'd like to share my first map done in CC3 - something I'm working on for an adventure module for the Midnight Campagin setting (by Fantasy Flight Games). It's not finished yet; it still needs a border and a few bits and pieces aren't ideal yet, but I would welcome your comments and suggestions.

I cheated slightly, adding the symbols and text in CorelDraw after doing the textures in CC3. It does look better in colour, but as the Midnight products are all done in grayscale (which definitely fits the setting if you are not familiar with it), I've prepared this one in grayscale too (with just a spalsh of colour ;>).

Cheers!

Shadowfane
    (Iain J Brogan)

PS I have a full colour version if you'd like to look at that too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steel_hill_environ_map2_233.jpg 
Views:	2003 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	268  
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-15-2018 at 07:26 PM.