Thread: Small Forest Village

Post Small Forest Village

Well this is my finished map. It goes to a story that I am writing and is in the heart of a forest that I am calling (tentatively) Forest of Shadows. This was done after a lot of reading and research. I learned a lot by following the tutorials of RobA and others. This map is a direct result of layers, Blur, Noise and Mosaic....did I mention Layers? It was the layers that played the biggest part in the maps creaton. The path around the village is done with a mixture of brown and grey (Most of the colors used are from a pallet that I got from RobA's Gimp Tutorial) and then by using a small mosaic tile. The Forest itself is done with the brush that was already included in gimp.....sorry the building are also a brush I picked up from one of RobA's tutorials.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Village in Forest.jpg 
Views:	759 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	9075  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Not bad at all, would like to see some more detail on the buildings, but other than that I like it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yup, I agree with Steel General. The terrain, river and forest is well done. The houses need some more detail however.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

wouldn't mind a few hints on the buildings. never done them before which is why i went with the brush.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You could use a bevel to simulate the roof peak and apply a pattern overlay of some kind to simulate shingles/slate whatever. Also a slight drop shadow adjusted to the appropriate angle of wherever the light is coming from.

Just a few ideas....
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Let me or one of the other Community leaders know if you want this moved over to a suitable WIP forum if you want to make changes and get input before reposting to the final maps forum
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's a great forest...it has this feel of rising and falling with the underlying hills (an effect with which many struggle with and you nailed it the first time out). It also has a natural feel in the clustering, which I always struggle with. Nice job!
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I agree with ascension, nice forests. The tree shape seems a bit uniform thou

another great one
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Well done. I am just learning layers myself (and realizing their usefulness). I especially like how the stream ends in a pool of water - nice effect. I agree with others and would like to see more detail on the buildings. Instead of roofs, another option would be to show the internal layout of the buildings (if you plan on folks going inside).