Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Award Winner] Local-scale tree texture in Photoshop CS3

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    Have you used any PS CS3 features / functions that either aren't available or couldn't be adapted to PS CS2?
    Thanks Ravs and Vandy! Much appreciated.

I'm not sure. I skipped from PS 7 to CS3, so I don't know what was added from CS2 to CS3. However, the original tutorial posted on Cartotalk—from which I adapted these instructions—predates the release of CS3, so my guess is that it will work unchanged.

I'm pretty sure it would even work in version 7, although I was only barely getting my feet wet with that version when I upgraded.

A small update to the method:

If you save your texture in its own PSD file and Place that file in your working document, it will become a "Smart Layer." A Smart Layer has some significant advantages in a non-destructive workflow. Since it's actually a separate file, anything you do to it changes only the copy in your document, not the original. You can go in and adjust the original, and it will automatically update in the working document when you save it. In addition, in CS3, a filter applied to a smart layer becomes a "smart filter," which acts like an adjustment layer—so finally you can apply a blur non-destructively, which answers my objection to Hoel's early comment that the texture would look better blurred.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice

Genius!...thanks for making it easier to understand and follow

Another approach to this look that is a little superior to mine:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...photoshop.html
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Default thanks

Perfect work you have done, this website is really cool with good information. Thank you. i often relax on friv after hours of hard work.
    Last edited by Korash; 11-04-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Removed link

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Monkeyking, I removed the link you posted as it was not really the kind of games that our maps are geared towards.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Thanks for this very interesting tutorial !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12