Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Callie's Thicket - A forest region

Post Callie's Thicket - A forest region

I posted this over in the CWBP forums, but I thought it might be more visible here since the CWBP hasn't seen a lot of activity as of late.

As I said there, I want to call this one finished, but I'm there's something else that can be done to make it better. C&C welcome and encouraged, please.

-IG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	callie's thicket.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	9117  

Guild Apprentice

I love that aged vellum look of the background. The only things I would try is maybe split some paths into the forests to show travel way trails and maybe age the image to make it more at home on that way cool BG.

I have no suggestions, I think it looks great. You gave the map a very unique style and love the background as well.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done!

I dub thee newly repped! *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

One of the more unique looking maps here, good job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This looks awesome
    If I have to suggest something, it's the background on the place-pyramids. When zoomed in, you can see squares of black pixel. If you're looking for something to clean up I'd start there.
    Another thing, the trees could use a little more detail. Right now they're a more or less equal noise filter. Try taking a dark green brush set to low opacity, and add some more detail and shading to the trees. Pick a direction and shade - you've already drawn the individual trees, so shading wouldn't be out of place. Right now it's a noise filter with the burn tool applies, but more green couldn't hurt. I don't think you should shade where you've already burned. It'd probably just look oversaturated and/or black.

Anyway, don't think I'm tearing down your map though. I love it, but I have this art/story critique mode I go into.
    I love the parchment background and the fonts. The placenames are awesome. It sounds like either the start of an adventure, or someplace that gets razed to the ground in a first chapter so that only one young boy or girl accidentally survives.
    I also really like the wave-like things in the water.
    I can't rep you (I think) but if I can rate your thread I will.

Edit: Correction, I can rep. Dont mind me.
    Last edited by Rahva; 01-11-2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Correction

I like it a lot. I can't see anything to improve it!

I'll definitely be fixing the location makers. I noticed that shortly after I posted the original image. As far as detailing the trees, I'm not quite sure. I'll play with them a bit and see if I can't improve them some. Unfortunately my work week started yesterday and I won't have time to mess with it until after Wednesday.

Rahva: I always appreciate comments, and I appreciated yours. That's we share images; I don't ever feel like anyone's intentionally ripping anything, unless they're being obviously snotty about it... which is unheard of around here.

But realizing that some people have thinner skin than others though, I appreciate your sensitivity as well. I do thank you for your constructive comments. As Ravells said, they hold merit.

I'll get an update up when I'm off again. Thankfully I only work three days this week.

I like it. Might improve it by making it a little bit lighter, or less smudgy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast