Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Mapping!

Post New to Mapping!

Hello,

I am new here and was looking around to learn about different ways of making my own maps. There seems to be a lot of information available! Still not sure which software to use, as I was looking at CC3 but not sure if I want to spend the money and then fail.

Other than that, I am happy to be aboard and learn something new!

Shei

Quote Originally Posted by sheilyn View Post
    Hello,

I am new here and was looking around to learn about different ways of making my own maps. There seems to be a lot of information available! Still not sure which software to use, as I was looking at CC3 but not sure if I want to spend the money and then fail.

Other than that, I am happy to be aboard and learn something new!

Shei
    Welcome! I would suggest GIMP. It's free and can be used to make maps along with editing pictures and pretty much any artsy type stuff you can think of. At the very least, you can try something free and always pay for something else sometime in the future.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Question GIMP Info

Is there a place where I can find info on making dungeons in GIMP? I've been reading through a lot of different threads, but seem to be having trouble finding one that talks about this specifically. I just want to start getting my feet wet, but also producing something that I can use. Or at least show off!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Is there a place where I can find info on making dungeons in GIMP? I've been reading through a lot of different threads, but seem to be having trouble finding one that talks about this specifically. I just want to start getting my feet wet, but also producing something that I can use. Or at least show off!
    There may not be a specific tutorial on the subject (yet), but there are plenty of other generalized tutorials that can get you started, and there's always someone around here willing to help.

Honestly, your best bet is to download Gimp and just to give it a go. Post up what you've got, whether you think it's good or not, and people will offer plenty of suggestions on what you can do to make it better, and will typically tell you how to go about achieving the process at the same time. At least that's been my experience here. You just can't get defensive over the critique, because in the end you'll have a much better product to show for it.

-IG

I would suggest start by getting RobA's Subterrainian Map Prettier Script. Find a link to it and tons of other scripts here. Next is to get some textures(for the script) and some objects from where ever you can legally get them. rpgmapshare.com, cgtextures.com, gmsapprentice.com... I am sure there are others.

If you are new to GIMP, read follow RobA's tutorial for a Regional map. Even if you don't want or need a regional map or don't like the style it is a great way to learn a ton of things about GIMP in a short amount of time. And of course, I can't suggest my Layer Masks Tutorial enough

Create a work in progress thread in the appropriate forum and we will be happy to help with you on your progress.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the Guild

CC3 is nice (and yes $$$), but if they have a Demo Version (can;t remember if they do) try it out before discounting it.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

Welcome, if your looking for Gimp threads then there is a keyword index link in my sig, look up Gimp and run through some of them.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you can handle a pencil, draw it up and scan it in...then put any fancy things on in GIMP and raid the Dunjinni forums for objects.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Welcome inner!
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast